Vosa stopping scaffolding lorries

steve2076

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a stop by the police or VOSA for unsafe loading or any other reason recently. I'd like to hear from scaffolders or companies who have been stopped, especially in the greater London area within the last couple of months. Thanks.

My bro was pulled by the ole bill last week, unsafe load looked all good to me, will see if i can get a pic up

Pulled by VOSA a while back in a 13.5T for having an "overloaded" lorry so they dragged us down their test centre on over the weighbridge. Lorry was within the weight limit, but the back axle was overloaded. Just had to move 50ish 5 foots from the back to the middle to spread the weight. Paul (the driver) got a slap on the wrist let go. Lost about 2.5 hours off the day for the honour.

This has been going on a while now at least a year and a half ago I got stopped by traffic police for un safe load .he nicked me for not having a strap over tubes on bed of lorry ,when I put a strap over the tubes on bed of lorry he then made me fill the gaps where the strap missed the tubes he said he could still move the tubes ,he then said get a roll of netting lay it over the tubes then put the strap over that so it compressed down on the tube .i was over south London the other week and see some scaff lorrys with some sort of cage adaption over the tube

Wonder how many times bill leane of magners scaffolding has been pulled over his 10 tonners look like double deck buses lol

Last time i was there when wagon got pulled it wa son ita way to test 18t wagon with over 12 t on the back axel there was about 6t on the front with animals 5 ft and 4 stils of fittings so fek know how much that was over lol

seen a few scaff wageons 7.5 ton now been covered in green netting

all gear laid flat under netting.

looks like the future

see them racks been taking off wageons next. or they have to be fully enclosed.

I have always put 2 toe boards on the end of our lorrys to keep the nosy ba stards from seeing in, a strap over the boards , and side toe boards againts the fittings and 5s i aint been pulled in over 3 years now.

Some of the lads deserve to be pulled the way they load their lorrys loose tubes rolling about , boards not tied

Thanks very much for all the helpful comments. It is clear that the only action being taken by the authorities is against the drivers who make no attempt to secure their loads at all. (and there are quite a few)
SW

A short while ago we got a job around the M25 & had to pass the vosa weighbridge @ the leatherhead junction & with what has been said on here we decided to aire on the side of caution....we put a strap over the back to tie down the load on the bed despite having toebrds up the side and we put a brickguard over the fitting bin & again tie that down ....touch wood we've not been stopped

Read this thread on wednesday night and guess what.....one of my wagons got pulled over on thursday afternoon.

Now it is an old 'L' reg merc 817 but believe me when I say I only bought it at the start of the year as I really needed a wagon. It is absolutely immaculate and was worth the extra I paid.

The VOSA bloke who I would love to name and ultimatley meet and introduce him to some scaffolder style retribution:mad: could not find anything wrong with the wagon and even passed comment to the driver that it is really well looked after for its age. Then he noticed a small drip of oil hanging on the sump of the wagon. He asked the driver to start the engine and leave running for 5 minutes. He then issued a prohibition saying that there was a leak of 75mm after the 5 mins which is a MOT failure.

I got the wagon back to the yard, place a clean piece of plyboard under the wagon and left to run for the same 5 minutes. Guess what :eek: not even 1 FU@#ING DROP!!!! I now have to pay to send it in for a partial test when I am stacked out with work, losing 2 lads to holiday & college.

FUMING!!!

:idea: I know instead of merging DSA & VOSA to for an ultra nazi style agency, they should actually train their staff to be fair and honest and not be pressured into meeting targets.

Read this thread on wednesday night and guess what.....one of my wagons got pulled over on thursday afternoon.

Now it is an old 'L' reg merc 817 but believe me when I say I only bought it at the start of the year as I really needed a wagon. It is absolutely immaculate and was worth the extra I paid.

The VOSA bloke who I would love to name and ultimatley meet and introduce him to some scaffolder style retribution:mad: could not find anything wrong with the wagon and even passed comment to the driver that it is really well looked after for its age. Then he noticed a small drip of oil hanging on the sump of the wagon. He asked the driver to start the engine and leave running for 5 minutes. He then issued a prohibition saying that there was a leak of 75mm after the 5 mins which is a MOT failure.

I got the wagon back to the yard, place a clean piece of plyboard under the wagon and left to run for the same 5 minutes. Guess what :eek: not even 1 FU@#ING DROP!!!! I now have to pay to send it in for a partial test when I am stacked out with work, losing 2 lads to holiday & college.

FUMING!!!

:idea: I know instead of merging DSA & VOSA to for an ultra nazi style agency, they should actually train their staff to be fair and honest and not be pressured into meeting targets.
I think you may be able to do something about this if you can be bothered as it will go against your o licence as not maintaing a lorry properly .

Garys right Spunkey , when it passes its partial test make a complaint to VOSA because they will flag you on their computer system as a Prohibition and stop you every time you pass them on the road

Has anyone experienced a stop by the police or VOSA for unsafe loading or any other reason recently. I'd like to hear from scaffolders or companies who have been stopped, especially in the greater London area within the last couple of months. Thanks.

Common practice.
Even away from site Scaffolders are still easy targets.

But, how many are overloaded?? ive seen more then not.
Thats the problem with 3-handed gangs working off of a 7.5t lorry... cant get enough gear on it to cover the wages, unless you go a bit over with the load.

Well, unless you are happy earning £130 a day on price? :unsure:

Vosa have been out in force in east sussex the last couple of weeks. Was certain was going to get pulled in Brighton last week, luckily the pikeys 3 cars infront were ushered in as we drove by

Top Bottom