Vosa gone crazy with Scaff lorry

Richbcfc89

Reaction score
Recently been stoped 12 times over last 3 months by vosa been fined for unsafe due to not having a tail board at back and to nothing to stop tube flying forward when did all this come on

Been the talk of the town for a while now, but I do remember a similar clamp down about 20 years ago. I'm looking for a 7.5 tonner and was thinking of just getting a 20ft bed as any bigger seems rare up here as most use system, think I will hang out for the 21ft bed.

Yes we got 7.5 toner had to have back extension welded on with a tail board and nothing more than a foot infront of the tube so do not slide into cab also strap tube down but it's impossible with a rack and gone really harsh 3 points and and a fine for the tube not be coverd up

Seems a bit harsh Rich, must have been unlucky, surely?

Sounds like you have been "Red Flagged " on their computers mate , every time you pass the bas tards they are likely to stop you once your flagged .

AOM dont get a 21 foot body get a 22 foot , what a lot of the lads do down here is buy the truck and have a body made to suit your needs.
21 foot is just to tight to get your tail boards on and get the gear in nice and snug.
Good place in Birmingham Cromwellls trucks, does good scaffold bodys and will do what ever you want.

Cromwell Trucks: Used trucks, commercial vehicles, truck sales, truck exports, UK used truck sales, used lorries, used vehicles from Cromwell

Good shout phil. I worked for intercity scaffolding in yardley b'ham. They had merc atigos made with 22ft beds, best ever...

Sounds like you have been "Red Flagged " on their computers mate , every time you pass the bas tards they are likely to stop you once your flagged .

AOM dont get a 21 foot body get a 22 foot , what a lot of the lads do down here is buy the truck and have a body made to suit your needs.
21 foot is just to tight to get your tail boards on and get the gear in nice and snug.
Good place in Birmingham Cromwellls trucks, does good scaffold bodys and will do what ever you want.

Cromwell Trucks: Used trucks, commercial vehicles, truck sales, truck exports, UK used truck sales, used lorries, used vehicles from Cromwell

I was down there once Phil and to be honest, wouldn't go back. Never met a fitter yet but did meet plenty of painters if you know what I mean. They also tried to pass off a dodgy MOT for a 6 wheeler I was looking at. They gave me a brake report for a tag axle and I was looking at a fixed. Two big fat blokes were running the show in Birmingham, came across as dodgy as fook.

The wee truck we have at the minute has a 22 foot bed, I found it a bit long for the wheel base, as most scaffs load the hell oot the erse end.

Yes it is I say that to them because there was another scaffold lorry in front of me without a tail board to but no once agency was my 3rd time of the week you must be right I got to b red listed dread going on motorways you just don't know what they will find wrong today yes 22 ft is best all are lorrys have 22ft bed now

Still flogging a lot of 20 foot beds up here, the system scaffs seem to like them.

What you want AOM is a 30 foot box wagon then get a good fitter to cut the chassis and move everything back , lights under run etc etc.
you get a longer wheel base on the longer bodys , 6m-6.5m but not very good in big towns with small roads LOL

You're right, what we want changes every day. One day we load it to the backside and haul as much steel as we can, the next we are winding through narrow country lanes with the trees ripping the mirrors off (or so the driver tells me) with a 2 lift tower. I have my eye on one in Manchester, but it's a digital tacho and that's going to be a bit of a hassle.

22 foot beds? You wouldn't be able to drive anywhere down here in Cornwall with that fuckin gert thing

Mirrors have a very limited life span.

Tell me about it, the big truck never turned a wheel and somehow lost it's kerb mirror standing in the yard. The wee feckin apprentice has never sat his wee erse in the thing but has broken more of the fekin things than I have.:mad:

You're right, what we want changes every day. One day we load it to the backside and haul as much steel as we can, the next we are winding through narrow country lanes with the trees ripping the mirrors off (or so the driver tells me) with a 2 lift tower. I have my eye on one in Manchester, but it's a digital tacho and that's going to be a bit of a hassle.

Alistair,if your prepared to go to Manchester,then go 40 mile further,i'll give you a proper fitters number who'll custom build any size wagon including painting in your company colours,a quality job,half the price of them shiny white one's in truck trader,you all know the ones;)

Tell me more BF. The fitter I use thinks the sun shines oot the backside of the MAN's so restricts our choice a bit. Other than that we are pretty easy, clean underneath worth more than a flashy cab, hopefully the newest we can get with an analogue tacho. A couple of tool boxes to the underside would be good but we can add them if needed. The colour is also easy, Aom Red, White and Blue.;)

Oh, a long wheelbase with a 22 foot bed with capes.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

trees taking wing mirros of wagons ,sound like a fair tale to me kid lol ;)

It's not so bad now being honest, but it's been a long road strewn with broken truck parts spread all over Argyll.:(

The worst when we were travelling in convoy, he called me and screamed down the phone, did you see that bus? It swerved you and came back out and ripped my mirror off.

FFS, I didn't even see the fekin bus.

Mine were coming back regular minus a mirror,and front bumpers,then getting stuck and burning clutches out,does my head in,these fella's haven't got a clue how a wagon works,they shouldn't be given a licence if they don't understand the fundamental workings of the machine their using,they understand p45 though lol,alistair i'll pm you pal,never had a M.A.N. but I found the pre digital daf's bulletproof;)marra,what's going on with the feckin candy crush requests???SCAFF'S DONT PLAY CANDY CRUSH:wacko:

Nice one, thanks BF. A DAF would be our second choice or the fitters which would do us fine. I think it's just for ease of getting copy parts from Dingbro and the like.

Mine were coming back regular minus a mirror,and front bumpers,then getting stuck and burning clutches out,does my head in,these fella's haven't got a clue how a wagon works,they shouldn't be given a licence if they don't understand the fundamental workings of the machine their using,they understand p45 though lol,alistair i'll pm you pal,never had a M.A.N. but I found the pre digital daf's bulletproof;)marra,what's going on with the feckin candy crush requests???SCAFF'S DONT PLAY CANDY CRUSH:wacko:

candy crush? dont know what ya talking about marra :laugh:

Top Bottom