using Scaffolding for permanent structure

pjeterschornstein

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to the forum and don't have much experience with scaffolding.

I'd like your opinion about an idea I have :

I've been thinking about low cost housing (could be used in developing countries and so)
I thought that since Scaffolding are relatively cheap, available modular and esthetically elegant in a way. Why not use them for building permanent/ semi permanent structures?
I thought they could be used ass exoskeleton connected to foundations in the ground , then connect some sort of light walls on the inside.

Is there some elemental reason I'm missing to why this can't be done?
P.S- this is just for discussion. If you find my question reticules then you don't have to answer.

Any on topic answer would be appreciated!

Possibility of corrosion over time maybe a big factor. I would take it your (Developing Countries) would have a be high in humidity? Stainless steel would be good ha ha.

I paper, why not? In principal, I would like to see the result!!

Fairly long term structures are already built from scaffolding eg warehouses, football stands etc and tend to have around a 20 year life span

Never mind whether it is suitable or not, what the feck does reticules mean?? Don't forget half of us struggle to count when we run out of fingers and teos!

(yes i spelt it wrong on purpose for comedic effect)

It must be something Marra owns, i'm only getting a small handbag on google!

Its is a good idea in principle but one of the main drawbacks would be the deflection of the structure; scaffold deflects (sways) a lot more than a masonry or concrete structure, or even structural steel, meaning that you would need to use a lot of bracing etc. to make the scaffold stiff enough. If the "house" moved too much, the plaster or other internal walls would be damaged, and it would be uncomfortable during high winds. With this in mind, a traditional structural steel structure may actually have less steel in it that a scaffold, depending on the height and base dimensions. Other factors such as maintenance of couplers etc. would also make the scaffold less attractive than structural steel over the long term.

biffo0911, That's a good point. I've thought about it as well but I thought it might be an advantage: The way I figured is that it's similar to bamboo structures that use swaying as an advantage, making them more flexible (in earthquake situation ext)

I thought I could use wooden plates like at construction scaffolding for floor and celling but make the walls from light material like bamboo and leave it connected only to the vertical poles so the structure get stiffness from the floors but the sway would not damage the walls.

In principle, I thought about it in context of a bamboo house design but with more permanent elements.

You could build something as described above but other than the sway issue, there are also a couple of other issues: 1. We normally build scaffolds in 2.4m x 2.4m bays maximum meaning that you will have standards (vertical members) every 2.4m throughout the house unless you use scaffold beams for the main floor members. 2. Scaffolds require regular maintenance, the frequency of which depends on the environment. We would normally fully service the scaffold at intervals between 6 months - 2 years. You would need to protect the couplers to prevent them becoming rusty or seized, possibly a decent coat of paint would do this since they wouldn't ever need to be removed. 3. You would need to come up with a method of connecting the non-standard scaffold members (walls) to the scaffold tubes. Obviously rope or similar would deteriorate over time.

Scaffolding is durable and I have built pressurised habitats offshore that would make any pre fab house look like a shambles ,but I don't think it would be cost effective.
modular accommodation as used on camps in the shetlands and predominantly the middle east etc would be more cost ;)effective

biffo0911 , Yes, I was thinking about either a white paint cover (also since I want to build this in hot climate and don't want to attract further heat) or to install them on the inner side of the wall. Does the couplers need further maintenance- do I need to straighten the screws or do they stay fixed? for the connections between the scaffolds and the walls I"d like to use something like on the top left: Coupler Fittings India, Coupler Fittings manufacturer India, scaffold fitting, scaffolding fittings manufacturers india, Coupler Fittings supplier India, Coupler fittings exporters in india, scaffoldings exporters india, scaffolding system india.
is using beams the only way of avoiding the 2.4 throughout the house?

happyhugenoet, I would really love to see what you have build to get an idea!
For now, I am thinking about this project as a house for myself and if it"s successful, for people in a small community. Modular accommodation is surly more cost effective but I want something more independent and less grim ;)

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Last edited:
im sure that a company like layer could come up with something in design that would be suitable for homes in developing countries

Top Bottom