Upside down doubles

benjo0211

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get proof that there is no right way to have a double, as the gate or bolt don't have to be a set way due to loading as they haven't been tested in that way ie on a spare

You could get that from any part 1 course notes benjo. Tg20 also gives load classes.

I think a double has the same loading which ever way .but scaffs do it so that the leadger sits in the gate to make it easier and up the other way for puncheons or hangers so when strike you can see what's going on .

No not in that way pal. Say when you put a spare on usually you put the double on upside down at the bottom of the spare so the gate is on top of your tube, I'm trying to prove to someone that it doesn't have to be that way it can have the bolt on top of the tube as the doubles are not tested in that way.

Yeh it's just for people to see what's what

Oh right, a check fitting. I would always fit upside down as it's a snug fit on 2 sides but it's the same principle, you could use the same information as you would on a puncheon.

Here comes the argument whether or not to leave a gap between checks.

Ha ha, that's easy, upside down, no gap. ;)

It deosnt make a difference benjo. Its down to each individual scaff, chuck them on how you feel fit pal.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

We did an unofficial test that proved otherwise.

Was this test verified by nasc....

We did an unofficial test that proved otherwise.

I questioned 1 or 2 things in the past and tried to prove it by testing and all they did was question the testing technique.

Yeh I know it doesn't matter which way it is I just need proof it doesn't to make a point ha

Just use the same argument you would use for a puncheon then benjo. Point made and won I would assume.

Dont think ive ever seen a check fitting ever have to be kicked in. We all put them in but have never seen a double fail. Always a first i suppose.

the diffrence between a check and a supplementary fitting ,checks leave a gap so if the doubble fails it hits the check fitting supplementary fitting increases the load capacity of the first double in a down wards force

That's how the designer's define it marra. The supplementary to increase the required load and the check to stop the slip but I still don't leave a gap.

aye am a rite clever feker now lol . who closes the gate son there checks :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom