unit beams question...

WORKSHY-APPRENTICE

Reaction score
my grandfather says the tops of the trianlges ohave to be smiling? he's adamant and i cant see the difference? anyone give me some advice on this?

haha, I love a bit of controversy of an evening. Your old Grandads quite right or so my Grandad tells me. There are a few experts that can fill in the blanks.

You got a unit beam with you next to the computer??? Lol another few years you be wearing a ladder beam for a bracelet or maybe even pressing sety of 40's with 2 20 ft ladder beams sleved out lol

I have heard your gaffer is tough, maybe grandad could have a word.

I would imagine that would be extra, the gaffers not made of money you know.

Sounds to me like you have it cushy workshy, don't be too quick to move from under the rack.;)

workshy are you claiming assylum,or are you another of our eastern european friends.:eek:

haha, he might be built like a whippet but that's more to do with the amount of graft he has to do to keep the gaffer sweet than heritage. He is definitely one of our own Daftscaff.

i was reffewring to the tenner to sleep in the yard.
heading up your way well kinda the morra with the good lady for a wee night if you hear any horror stories of debauchery in the dukes land you will know why and who ;);)

my grandfather says the tops of the trianlges ohave to be smiling? he's adamant and i cant see the difference? anyone give me some advice on this?

Unit beams came in as the replacements for the old fish belly style of truss. One of the first things I was taught at SGB was, that there is a right way up.
The right way up being that the end braces always go upwards. The logic being that the end braces would then be transfering the load to the end post in tension.
That however; may not always be the case, for instance at the end of a span or if you are applying a negative force to the beam.

One of the main criteria nearly always missed when using unit beams is to pick the load up at the node points.

Regards
Alan

feck it, seen beams both ways and never seen them collapse or fail. they should let scaffs have cad software to see what works best...

i was reffewring to the tenner to sleep in the yard.
heading up your way well kinda the morra with the good lady for a wee night if you hear any horror stories of debauchery in the dukes land you will know why and who ;);)

Enjoy your weekend Craig, I may see you over there if the sun stays out you may well be woken by the sound of a jet ski flying about. Don't be annoyed and if you must throw doubles make sure they are presco's and serviced.:cool:

Top Bottom