UK Scaffolding

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Just heading back after 2 enjoyable weeks in the UK.
Managed to cast my eye over quite a few jobs in different parts of the country.
Have to say I saw precious little conforming to TG or SG.
I am not knocking anyone as we have all cut corners at some time but wonder if things will tighten up as the HSE become self funding.
Best scaffold I saw was a loading bay done by ANT Structures and the worst are too numerous to mention.
Didn't look at any petrochemical sites but the street and site jobs would all have the tags removed if they were on a major job here.
Surprised that ledgers aren't staggered and spurs fixed with swivels and lost count of the stop ends only off one standard.

Simply costs more to work to the correct guidelines.
More equipment & materials needed.
Slower production of work.
And so on.

Im lucky that at St. Fergus there is a massive focus on Safety, so we're really covered here.
Other sites, not so much.

Cost vs Health and Safety... Cost wins 99 times out of 100.
Especially during 'recession' times.

I honestly dont think they will.
If they was, they would have already done so.

How hard is it to turn up at a Scaffolding yard, audit their office, stock, procedues, safety records etc?
From that alone, you can pretty much guess what kind of a Firm they are and if they are conforming.

But does it happen?
Not that ive ever heard of...

Easier to sit in an unmarked car with a digital camera and nick Scaffolders trying to earn a few quid for climbing up unsecured ladders and stuff. :worried:

What are ladders jase, ive been using them diagonal things on the outside...:embarrest::embarrest:..:D

Not sure mate.
I was usually on the ground making silly videos. Apparently ;) :D

If the HSE really did clamp down, id guess that 90% of Firms would go out of business or face hefty fines.
Less Scaffolding Firms = massive massive problems for Building Companies.
Why would the HSE cripple the Construction Industry?
Its what keeps the HSE in business.

Same as why the Police dont lock up ALL the scumbags that they let off with fines, etc.
No Criminals = No Police.

The Health and Safety Safety Executive is the same.

Close a company down they only re open in a differnt name, re brand the transport and their back in buisness till they get caught again..vicious circle.

Just heading back after 2 enjoyable weeks in the UK.
Managed to cast my eye over quite a few jobs in different parts of the country.
Have to say I saw precious little conforming to TG or SG.
I am not knocking anyone as we have all cut corners at some time but wonder if things will tighten up as the HSE become self funding.
Best scaffold I saw was a loading bay done by ANT Structures and the worst are too numerous to mention.
Didn't look at any petrochemical sites but the street and site jobs would all have the tags removed if they were on a major job here.
Surprised that ledgers aren't staggered and spurs fixed with swivels and lost count of the stop ends only off one standard.

That surprises me being honest, as yes there are lots of jobs needing improvement but for everyone I see there are 10 good ones. I thought the hse was already self funding.

I suppose it's one of those things we have all done at one time or another, but not often, faults are easy to find. There is a very small job round here, but it was tight to a rock face and would have been a nightmare to do. I told the fella that we would need to more than double our rate to do it correctly, didn't really want the hassle. He eventually did it himself, and at a guess I would say it's 90-95% perfect. Still not enough for some on here but for the realists amongst us it's a damn good average. He is not a scaff, but it's a domestic property.

Top Bottom