Ucatt

Reaction score
Alan Ritchie suspended Leader of UCATT is facing allegations that he was fiddling his expenses whilst the head of the Union...A ballot of existing members to select a new Leader will be held and so far I know of 2 candidates J. Swain and M. Dooley...M. Dooley has been at the forefront of investigations into corruption in the corridors of power of the leadership of UCATT for several years now and has actually been the subject of repeated efforts to suspend him from UCATT by the discredited leadership and had to resort to litigation in order to substantiate his claims of fiddling by the leadership. His claims have been vindicated by the courts resulting in the removal of UCATT boss A. Ritchie ( he was forced to resign) who is now facing all kinds of investigations into his time as head of UCATT. I know we have been very poorly served by UCATT in the last few years with miserly even ludicrous pay settlements. We have seen the destruction of our industry by the unlimited flood of immigrants prepared to undercut our rates of pay as well as our conditions of employment, whilst UCATT wholly supported this policy and the Labour politicians who opened the door. People like M. Dooley have continually battled against all odds to have a more representative UCATT prepared to take a stand against the bosses and politicians who've gotten filthy rich at our expense. I was working for more money in better conditions in the 1980's than any of the jobs currently being advertised. All the work seems to be thru agencies who pay derogatory and insulting rates of pay for skilled operatives risking their lives daily and like all non-productive middlemen taking a substantial percentage of the charge they bill the contractors. If a company is willing to pay an agency £200+ and VAT at 20% for a qualified scaffolder, then they should be paying £200 + NI at 11% for the same operative. It's only a question of CONTRACT...We are being shafted by this organization of the construction industry and UCATT allowed this to be established. The bosses have secured huge pay rises and bonuses by taking former employees 'off the books' thus 'reducing' costs. It's all ******** accounting smoke and mirrors which results in us scaffolders having to work for £12-£14 an hour for 9-10 hours a day. ******** to that!

I was with UCATT for a few years... they were crap.
I changed them for another union, as soon as i got the chance.

All the Construction Unions have really conned the working man and operated in their and their political partners best interest funded by the members who've been ripped off. Our wages are less than 30 years ago,our conditions of employment are worse than 20 years ago, safety is a load of nonsense, the industry is full of cowboys and snake-oil salesman bosses and the very people we've been paying to make the industry better for us have been living high on the hog and whilst shitting on us. I earned the same money as an MP 30 years ago, they earn 3 times my annual rate and have another £150k of tax free expenses on top. Union Bosses make even more...**** the lot of them.

They are all out for one thing and that is not me and you i no a union man and he told me i wont always be the union man so cant really fight to much against every company this cuntt is in our game

Got to be the worst union out there,there a bloody disgrace :mad:

cracking post james robert,sad to say it but human nature and mans greed will never stop these sort of things happening.
abuses of power and the feck them im alright jack attitudes are whats fecking the trade and the country as a whole:mad:
it is heartwarming that the man dooley has still got principles,lets hope he gets the job for all UCATT members.
im a unite/amicus member

Im a unite/amicus member
Same here. :)

I was in UCATT, but changed to Amicus, before it became Unite.
Ive never really bothered using a union, but for the £10 a month membership fee, its handy having someone at the end of the phone should i ever need to use them.

All the Construction Unions have really conned the working man and operated in their and their political partners best interest funded by the members who've been ripped off. Our wages are less than 30 years ago,our conditions of employment are worse than 20 years ago, safety is a load of nonsense, the industry is full of cowboys and snake-oil salesman bosses and the very people we've been paying to make the industry better for us have been living high on the hog and whilst shitting on us. I earned the same money as an MP 30 years ago, they earn 3 times my annual rate and have another £150k of tax free expenses on top. Union Bosses make even more...**** the lot of them.

yes james blame the full time fiddling union officals.....blame the get rich quick fat cat bosses.....blame johhny forigner who you say is undercutting us all,is it not time to look in the mirror too mate and see that we the great british worker have sat back and presided over these events.ie the continual election of crooked union leaders,havent we also pulled our tripe out for these so called fat cat bosses continually??and havent we all worked alongside foreign labour???/who i may add i have never seen going into an office and offer their services for any less than the going rate.malovence set in years ago mate and with it the delagation of blame culture,not having a go just saying we all have to shoulder some of the blame for these unfortunate events.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

ps,forgot to say good posts too james thought provoking,lets hope the organisation in question get their house in order and get back to the fundamentals ie really representing their membership in a manner they deserve.

Tell someone that who has an ECITB ticket. The unions shat on their members for their own gain.

Great post James, I was saying the same the other day that we were earning more in the
80's than we do now...plus housing, travel, beer, cigs, etc was all cheaper. The only reason our Government / Unions and large firms have allowed this "massive" influx of overseas workers is to keep our wages down which boarder on being not a livable wage in today's terms. Most Scaffs work over 50 hours a week,with the current cost of living a take home wage of between £550 - 650 a family man can just about survive.

AS IN AUSTRALIA,THERE SHOULD BE A MINIMUM WAGE FOR TRADESMAN STARTING AT A MINIMUM WAGE FOR SCAFFS OF £16.50 PER HOUR FOR PART2 AND £20.00 FOR ADVANCED. WE SHOULD START OUR OWN SCAFFOLDERS AND RIGGERS UNION.

GET IN WITH THE ERECTORS,THEY DONT HAVE ANY **** ALL ON GOOD CASH AND ALL SOLID.
WHEN I WAS UP IN ST FERGUS ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO WE HAD A DISPUTE OVER MONEY AND TRAVEL TIME FOR THE LONG WEEKEND.LONG STORY SHORT WE WALKED(IT WAS OUR CHRISTMAS WAGE)THE ERECTORS CALLED A MEETING AND THEY MADE SURE THE PIPEYS AND WELDERS CAME OUT.
I DONT NEED TO TELL YOU THE SPARKS NEVER.:eek:

Maybe we could use this site to contact the erectors union with a proposal of some sought....food for thought....God knows, something has to change in this country before we all end up skint like Greece...

Top Bottom