• Tube & Fitting

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • System Scaffolding

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COOTE 1

Reaction score
I'm an Advanced scaffolder of 11years who is in the final year a degree in Civil Engineering and I'm doing a 10000 word report on the comparisons between tube and fittings(T&F) and system scaffolds(SS). My experiences ‘on the tools’ was in T&F and have 4 years experience with SS in a design capacity. Can you let me know your thought on the subject and if you know of any publications and journal that you have come across it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Graeme Coote
Please email:
Graemecoote@aol.com

Last edited:
t&f is far better than ss. but if either are designed correctly the ss is far quicker.

10,000 words :eek: FUC**** hell mate i can only think of 2 words to describe System scaffolds
the best of luck with that mate :)

Started scaffolding 34 years ago on tube & fitting, I was told then that you had to be a good scaffolder to erect T & F properly and any clown could erect system scaffolding
After 25 years on the tools (90% t&f) I had worked with various systems like Wedglock, RMD, Layer, Kwickstage, and Cuplock

The best system IMO was Cuplock because you could mix t&f with it and still get any job done

I must be one of the few old school scaffolders who now prefers Cuplock for speed and dont mind admitting it

your right pokerface Cuplock is the best of a bad lot but i personaly cant stand all that BANG BANG all day long drives me :nuts:

We have cuplock kwikstage and tube and fitt , 90% of contracts are T+F REMAINDING STUFF SUCH AS TIMBER FRAME WORK AND CRASHDECKS WE TRY TO DO OUT OF SYSTEM

Use both T/F and Cuplok. System scaffold is making inroads, but can never see an end to T/F. As Pokerface said Cuplok for it's versatility combined with T/F is a good mix.

from a scaffolder point of view i would probably vote t&f

but from a company point of view i think with the right work contracts, training, right scaffolders and planning ss is the better option, especially with all the new regs and cdm more new build construction projects in the future will be designed taking into acc cdm, wah etc etc also with the development of prefab buildings , the future trend will be ss

the new ss these days are far more advanced than the old kwikstage an cuplock just look around on the forum photo album and the nasc yearbooks,
also system has been the main system on civils jobs for years heavy duty support, falsework etc etc

got to be tube & fitt all day long. Used to do all sort of scaffs at a brewery. In tanks, around vessels, lifting frames, support jobs, little farty towers around cable trays and pipework. That sort of stuff could never be done with the system.

Like some people have said you cant get away from tube and fitting scaffolding also it can be added on to certain systems like cuploc and layher.System scaffold is great for straight runs or the average building site where you can put 2 or 3 lifts on so you save on transport.The only problem with system is the amount of ties you have so if errected properly that can slow the job down quite alot.I know all the lads on here tie system in properly ;-) System seems to have alot of components too so if your starting out with it you always seem to need other components.I used layher abroad and with the 5mtr and 2.5mtr boards it made it loads easier covering 1 & 2 bays.Hope this helps you

I'm an Advanced scaffolder of 11years who is in the final year a degree in Civil Engineering and I'm doing a 10000 word report on the comparisons between tube and fittings(T&F) and system scaffolds(SS). My experiences ‘on the tools’ was in T&F and have 4 years experience with SS in a design capacity. Can you let me know your thought on the subject and if you know of any publications and journal that you have come across it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Graeme Coote
Please email:
Graemecoote@aol.com

LAYHER Mehr möglich. Das Gerüst System.

Hope this site is of use mate and good luck.

Like some people have said you cant get away from tube and fitting scaffolding also it can be added on to certain systems like cuploc and layher.System scaffold is great for straight runs or the average building site where you can put 2 or 3 lifts on so you save on transport.The only problem with system is the amount of ties you have so if errected properly that can slow the job down quite alot.I know all the lads on here tie system in properly ;-) System seems to have alot of components too so if your starting out with it you always seem to need other components.I used layher abroad and with the 5mtr and 2.5mtr boards it made it loads easier covering 1 & 2 bays.Hope this helps you
I have been using Layher for 4 years and have never seen a 5mtr board.

been scaffolding 23 years the last 5 years with harsco(sgb) and do not like ss, yes it is quick compared to t@f but what a pain when you have to adapt it , example reducing two inside boards to one remove the complete deck remove trannies and replace with single trannies, replace boards .t@f remove one in side board undo singles slide trannies out and rap .oh and remove the extra materials t@f one board every 4m ,ss 4 trannies and one board.i guess i like t@f

I like them both in equal measure. Most scaffolders will say they like t&f better as it's more complicated to erect and requires a different skill set from the system erector. If you worded the question slightly different like which one would you do without you might get a different response. Once you rattle around a 4 storey timber frame with system it can be quite daunting to do the same job with the same squad of men in t&f. That been said, I recently won a contract where there was no real specification to scaffold type, the only real brief was that their safety man pet hate was gaps between the inside board and the building. I had system and tube in the yard in equal measure but decided to do it in tube as their was loads of returns and a few height changes. It wasn't till the job was complete the client informed me if I turned up with a load of system he would have put us off site. The long and the short is they both have their place if you want to give your client what they want and I couldn't do that without either.

we were using them in Holland mate it worked out pretty good and used steel deck boards on the inside so we could move the hop up brackets up and down.

System vs T & F ?

Make Money or Loose Money?

Hanger; Jetty Job for paint and blast,

Each section 18m long x 8m wide with 1m cantilever to the outsides, deck level 1.8m below main jetty steel, fully boarded.

System = 428 components = 6.2 tonne

T & F = 1,684 components = 15.4 tonne

Client on cares about a safe work platform that's suitable to task.

Everyone in their right mind wants to work with tube but we all need to make a living.

Celtic

Top Bottom