Truss out.

DECROMAX

Reaction score
Hi all haven't posted on here for a long time. Today I was told to put up a trussout off a walkway. The projection is just over 3mtrs. I havent been given a drawing and so told my supervisor I wasnt having any of it as it needed design input/calculations etc. I know I could build one piggybacked beams , kentledge etc. But if anything were to happen I would be in the s@#t.
Just want your thoughts. ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's entirely up to your firm, But I'd always advise having a design for a truss out, unless you've got a few under your belt, knowing the kentledge required is quite an important part of it.

I've seen a few, both cantilevered off of beams and out of tube, fail. None of which were done after getting an engineers input.

But at the end of the day it's up to the company you work for and whether the risk is worth it. .

Stick to your guns Decromax s.hit always rolls downhill.

Agreed, the design will more than likely send you as crazy as the gaffer does but at least all concerned will know it's right.

I work for Deborahs , I think part of the problem is job needs to be done asap and the designer won't be on site until Weds. Out of interest what is the formula for calculating kentledge? used to know it but it's escaped my mind.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

3:1 or is it 4, I can never remember anyway. 3 lbs a foot for tube and 1 per fitting, but as usual don't quote me, I was never good at long division.

3-1 on the needles( so you need 9 meters inside) and the kentledge but make sure you allow all self weight of tube or beams PLUS the weight of whatever men tools plant etc will be on the scaffold , i have used 3-1 more times then i care to remember and never seen anything move an inch , also make sure what your putting any kentledge on can hold the weight

Top Bottom