True or myth

paul

Reaction score
Fair few years ago in Bristol there a story going about that a scaffold company had erected a hanger both sides of a road bridge spanning a large river , to support the hanger the company had used 1 ton sand bags from Jewsons for Kentledge on both sides of hanger as the were both seperate from each other.
The story goes that the company was late paying for the hire or cost of the sand bags so Jewsons decided to go any retrive the property ie sand bags with a driver and hiab , as the guy was lifting off the bags the hanger started to lean into the river but got snagged on all the metal railings but the driver was just doing is job but manged to get all the bags on to his lorry and back to the depot .

Not sure if this is fact or fiction but its a good story anyway .

Must be alot of story like that going around !

Don't know about that one Paul.
But a true event happened in the Rotterdam dry docks in the 90's.
Over the side hangers were being erected using a narrow horse due to lack of space and access being required. These horses were then welded to the deck. Day shift wanted to continue erecting the hanger but no welders were available to weld the horse to the deck. The lads craned packs of boards onto horse to act as temporary counterweight and dropped down and started erecting the hanger.
Night shift who were doing inboard work came on and started using the boards. Horse started lifting up before they realised what purpose the boards were serving. A possible serious incident was prevented.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Lack of communication and handover.

Must surely be a myth Paul, who hires a bag of sand? Maybe it was common practice back in the day but I can't imagine it. There are similar stories around about the water tanks used for kentledge being drained down causing catastrophic failure, but I think they are more like Chinese whispers than fact.

back in the 80s i remember being sent to a job with power cradles as the painters had phoned up saying the cradles didnt feel right , when i gets there the painters are working from the cradles up at the 6th floor , cant be much wrong i thinks , heads up to the roof 12 floors this block was and the local children had broken the roof door open during the night and thrown at least half the 56lb weights to the ground :eek:, the back of the jibs where lifting about a foot of the roof , i had to run back down and calmly ask the painters to lower the cradle which took about 10 minutes.
After that we had lockable steel boxes fitted to the jibs

Used to love moving the arms over then lift the cradle gently to glide into place.then went through a classroom window full of kids.ahh good old days

Used to love moving the arms over then lift the cradle gently to glide into place.then went through a classroom window full of kids.ahh good old days
Yes it was easy to get wrong and was always a good ride.

My favourite trick was to break the middle out of a sleave and wrap it up half way down the dropper,HA.

56lbs you wouldnt be allowed to lift that alone now never mind carry them to the roof(although its really only 2 landings after the lift/elevator)
the cradle jobs gone for scaffs now :cry: as will actual scaffolding if the regs and rules continue going in the same direction.

as for the sand bags load of bawlicks if you ask me.How would jewsons know they were to be used on a bridge for Kentledge and how would he be allowed to stop on a bridge and take them back with his HI=AB swinging about when theres traffic going about;)

56lbs you wouldnt be allowed to lift that alone now never mind carry them to the roof(although its really only 2 landings after the lift/elevator)
the cradle jobs gone for scaffs now :cry: as will actual scaffolding if the regs and rules continue going in the same direction.

as for the sand bags load of bawlicks if you ask me.How would jewsons know they were to be used on a bridge for Kentledge and how would he be allowed to stop on a bridge and take them back with his HI=AB swinging about when theres traffic going about;)
They still use 56lb cradle weights, they even use them at Safety and access as the kentledge on their cantilevered drop scaffold.

Ahh the joys of carting 56 lb weights up to the roof of tower blocks. Something the modern scaffolder won't have done!!
Done plenty of that 56lb weight sh*t when I worked for SGB powered access at Glaxo I especially liked the wire bonds we had to tie the weights off with, great for cutting your hands when frayed. Anybody remember the Mast Climbers ? they were fun ..........NOT.

We have a few danger mainly use them for tripods for rope and wheels that and holding the yard gates open on a windy day

the joys of mr tikityboo eh fred

Haha you refreshed my memory Andy. You still in Germany?

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

It's just slightly over 25kg.

Top Bottom