Travelling to a job !!

gmanscaff

Reaction score
Alrite fellas,
Just after a bit of advice really...is there a limit on what a firm can make you travel to a job (for free).
I'm basically paye for a firm with a firms van, since I started we travelled to the same site aprox 45 mins from home...now they have lots of work which they say we must do, which is taking 2 hours 20 mins to get there and same on the way home. Our working hours are 8-4...so basically were doin an xtra 1 hour 30 mins travel each way and as of yet can not get an answer on whether we will be getting more money whether it be a better day rate or travelling money...and they have already said that paying digs is not an option..u thoughts are much appreciated.
Regards, "a tired travelled out Scaff"

Not quite sure exactly what you mean bud, but you have company van and fuel so no expenses.

you work 8 till 4 so in my eyes that means you on site for 8 an leave site at 4

so you leave house approx 5-30 am (2hrs 20 min travel) and get back home at approx 6-30 pm

is this correct:blink:

Yeh that's rite mate so I'm on site 8-4 on a day rate travelling 45 mins to site..but now I'm doing lots more travelling but same day rate...surely telling someone they have to travel 2 hours 20 mins to work is excessive...the way I see it, is I'm leaving home at 5:45am and getting home at 6pm but getting paid 8-4...I wondered if there was some sort of working time regulation

There are rates and expenses per mile already in place under national agreements
There is also a limit to the miles travelled to work before lodge becomes compulsary
If I have time I will check it in the morning

If you are the driver and pick up other men, your day starts when you start the van in the morning and ends when you lock it up on your return home so working hours will be all your driving hours + your hours on site

There are also H&S issues one being have you all got a fixed seat and seat belt.
Does the firms insurance cover these hours,a lot of firms block insurance states cover for "normal working hours"this can vary a great deal 6am 6pm,8am8pm.
I had a mate returning home from a boiler job early in the morning 4am involved in an accident in a firms van he sustained serious injury the insures would not pay out as the insurance was only in force from 6am to 8pm mon to saturday there was no insurance at all on sundays.Took him three years to claim damages from the firm he worked for

Cheers mate, yeh I wud be interested to know the miles travelled before compulsory lodge. Were doing aprox 120 miles each way..I'm the driver and my mate drives back...so start the van at 5:45 and turn it off at 6pm...it's also made it worse as trackers have just been fitted to the vans so we are not allowed above 60mph...I'm almost falling asleep at the wheel...I understand were not entitled to expenses as yes the van is a company van and yes the fuel is paid for but surely we shud be entitled to some kind of rate for the time travelled or lodge

I would generally as a rule in this kinda situation, would base it around the employees distance from home to our yard, If he was a local lad I would say his daily travel should be no more than 30 to 45 mins, anything more than that I might give him travel time .

But if we had lads from a little further away from yard possibly hour or more I would suggest they travelled at least that distance before asking for extra.

But it would completely depend on full circumstances involved

Thanks mate...yeh we are bout an hour from yard and was on a site which is 45mins from home but now they got this work they have put local lads on the site and us on the far away stuff ?? Don't get me wrong I am totally prepared to do a reasonable amount of travelling there's lads out there with no work at all, I just feel that aprox 5 hours a day travelling wiv an 8 hour working day in the middle is a bit much with no lodge or incentive ( xtra hours )

Superscaff

yes the old chessnuts are still in the fire,do you pay your men travel from the yard or from thier home

sometime the job is next door to where the guy lives,or you will pass his house on the way to it from your yard

other times the job is in the other direction and will double the distance from home as opposed as from the yard

I have always calculated from the yard,as this is where I price the travel and haulage costs from in my tender

the lads with the firms vans do get free travel to and from work if you allow the vans to be taken home,but the lads with the vans are usually your top scaffs and chargehands and can make your life a lot easier out on site laising with the customers

Fair play, not penny pinching builds good firms

you ok gmanscaff 545 what you aveing a layin in the morning lol!!! had the same last job i was on company van and diesel card great if youve got 2 named drivers so you can share right we left most mornings at 5am as this was the norm as we travelled round most of the outskirts of london some further our company paid us 10 hours so we didnt mind and we also left sight at 3 pm no later all our work was job and knock so we had early days and and the odd late day but we never worked passed 3pm. i think the bottom line is were the work is like it is if you dont want it someone else will have it and this is how companys are looking at the moment but can see you point gmanscaff you can only ask the question mate

If i pay travelling its generally a fixed amount per day, i dont pay per hour or per mile, I dont have any sort of rates wrote down or carved in stone, I use the above formula as a rule of thumb but I generally just imagine it was me doing it, what would I really expect in return if it was me working for them doing what they doing.

Im a man o the world I know what things are worth or cost, I been to places where you dont get a penny more regardless of what you done extra that day.
The odd place where you got spoilt for doing little.
But most places I been it was we will see you right if you see us right :nuts::laugh:

most companys are different some will pay an extra hour per day or in your case a van where the fuel is free and you get nothing but if the jobs maybe hour and a half 2hrs ask the question dont ask youl not get try go half way with the gaffer:cheesy:

Better late than never :sad:

Working Rule 11 - Travelling, Fares and Lodgings

This Rule applies to the UK and all European Union countries. The same geographical area now applies to Appendix F: Guidance Note 3, Working Rule 11 (a) Operatives should be willing to travel a reasonable distance from their home and/or the main yard of the employer to carry out duties, but where an employer requires an operative to be available to lodge overnight on a permanent availability basis, then a mutual agreement should be established between the employer and the operative. This should be made clear at the commencement of employment and all the terms referred to in the Working Rule should be part of the Statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment. Where an employer shall require an operative to lodge overnight in order to carry out work on a casual basis, then the arrangements should be by mutual agreement. Appendix F; Guidance Note 3 should be read in conjunction with this rule. Daily Travel
__________________________________________________________________________________

(i) The Daily Travel Allowance has been replaced. Employers should now pay
operatives for their one-way travel time at their standard hourly rate of pay. The travel time to be paid should be agreed in advance between employers and operatives.
____________________________________________________________________________________

(ii) No fares or time allowance shall be paid to an operative travelling between his home and a site, yard or factory, etc., regarded as his fixed place of employment and to which he regularly reports for work at his normal starting time.

(iii) When an operative reports first to his fixed place of work and is then sent out temporarily on jobs, then he must be reimbursed all fares on public transport in full in excess of those he normally spends in getting to and from his regular place of employment, or, if the employee uses his own vehicle, the fare allowance according to the scale shown in (iv) below.

(iv) Daily Fare Allowance (tax free)

Note: The Daily Fare Allowance is only paid one way.

Hold down ctrl key and click to open link for full Document 2009
http://www.fmb.org.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=1954&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

Last edited:
Thanks rigger, I'm still unsure as to what the rules are, that seems to state, it shud be agreed by "mutual consent" but in our case it wud be go to the job or look elsewhere...spoke to boss 2day and my hours are 8-4 Monday to Friday, therefore 40 hours per week, last week Inc. Travelling I did in excess of 60 hours and got 65 pound extra...personally I think that's a piss take but maybe I'm wrong..any thoughts appreciated

My lads had this argument with me just before Christmas, now I don't let them take any company vehicle home because they did not agree to the company car/van tax so if we are working out of town I have agreed that they come to the yard in good time, I will pay £6.00 an hour travel time if there are on site at 8 o'clock and leave at 4 o'clock this is at normal rate then travel back to the yard at £6.00 per hour travel. I don't know if this is right or wrong but personally I wouldn't like to travel out of town on no pay.

Sounds fair enough tac...I understand the idea of the lads taking vans home is to go straight to a job in the morning...Im under the impression u shud be willing to travel the distance u live from the yard to a job unless obviously u live next door to it or sumat...in my case our yard is about 50 mins away so If I get sent to a job 50 mins from home then fair enough I just get my day rate, but they just want to pay same day rate but travelling 2 hours 20 mins each way

gmanscaff
the rules as I read them; your employer should be paying your travel time one way only at your normal rate

you say he pays 40 hours from 8am 4pm,he could deduct half an hour a day for your dinner break.So you are 2.5 hours up there

I know where your coming from though 1.5 hours each way travel is no fun but bear in mind that work is thin on the ground at present and you have to bite the bullet at times.

You say you worked 60hours including your travel time last week ,I am going to assume your normal rate is £15 per hour

so if I take the half hour a day he pays you for your dinner break(2.5 x £15) and add it to your travel time (£65) you received £110 payment for your travel time or 7.3 hours @ £15 per hour

At £65 a week he is paying you £13 a day or 1.5 hours @ £8.66 an hour

The working rule states "normal pay"this could well mean the scaffolders rate for your grade without any extra for bonus or plus rates

Give it a week or two and have another go at him,if you are keeping the site happy and getting a few extra,s signed for him you may sqeeze another £20/£30 out of him

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

gmanscaff
the rules as I read them; your employer should be paying your travel time one way only at your normal rate

you say he pays 40 hours from 8am 4pm,he could deduct half an hour a day for your dinner break.So you are 2.5 hours up there

I know where your coming from though 1.5 hours each way travel is no fun but bear in mind that work is thin on the ground at present and you have to bite the bullet at times.

You say you worked 60hours including your travel time last week ,I am going to assume your normal rate is £15 per hour

so if I take the half hour a day he pays you for your dinner break(2.5 x £15) and add it to your travel time (£65) you received £110 payment for your travel time or 7.3 hours @ £15 per hour

At £65 a week he is paying you £13 a day or 1.5 hours @ £8.66 an hour

The working rule states "normal pay"this could well mean the scaffolders rate for your grade without any extra for bonus or plus rates

Give it a week or two and have another go at him,if you are keeping the site happy and getting a few extra,s signed for him you may sqeeze another £20/£30 out of him

Hi mate my rate is 13:75 an hour..I understand what ur saying but if my contract states that they pay me for my lunch then they pay me...It shudnt be we pay u for ur lunch but if u have to do a lot of travelling then that will come out of ur travel money...got told 2day that the day I worked 7-5 (i presumed 2 hours overtime @ 13:75) I was only paid 7:50 an hour overtime. When I asked why they said there wasn't enough money on the jobs we had to do..we did 3 jobs that day in various different areas which amassed to aprox 4 and a quarter hours travelling so therefore we was working for 5 and a Half hours, had our dinner while driving..was told in the morning that the jobs had to be done no matter what..I xplained that it wud be Impossible to do without doing overtime because of the distance between the jobs and he said no problem we will pay u the overtime..to me it just stinks of the goalposts being moved again...ok rant over...catch my breath :)

Top Bottom