training route

fat boy

Reaction score
Im 23 and looking to get into scaffolding full time.
Iv worked with scaffolders in the past tube and clamp and Kwikstage
helping put up jobs and strike them after spent time in the yard cleaning loading unloading.
Iv no tickets only normal cscs
if you guys can help me find any training or even couple of days with a firm in maidstone or anywhere in kent.

sounds mad that im trying too change trades at the moment but id rather be humping tube and boards for the rest of my life then plastering and painting.

soo any advice on training cards and courses ect please your the guys to ask

even if your short of staff and just need a donky for the day im your man to proof that ill be a real asset to your and your firm.

as i said im only 23 6ft 4" built like a monster willing to travel all over for work own PPE.
Im hard working will to learn keep my mouth shut and ears open
iv seen scaffs and iv seen scaff if you know what i mean.
and you guys can graft and some of the scaffolding iv seen put up relly is a work of art not joking

iv still got that job its my own job but id love a change of jobs plastering and painting is boring the gonads off me

Just realised that myself gary - ever get the feeling someones trying to wind u up...previous threads @ 23 organising a street job for painters....used to have a poker spanner blah blah blah....might be wrong but sounds a little suss

Last edited:
no wind up mate im a plasterer/painter with some scaffolding knowledge
iv run a lot of my own jobs from domestic to site bashing
just starting to think it mite be a nice change different trade bit more oppertuinaty in life like off shore power plants ect
as i said i mite be young but im a grafter

im organising a street job for my self painting mite even be my last if i really get my head down and have a change of career
im really board of skimming and painting i started with a plasterer when i was 15 on and off only the past 3 years iv really got my head down and started getting in big jobs for my self.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

im not playing im thinking about a change and im asking for your advice and help

Last edited:
What was that post about Trad banning 21's all about?

If you are serious, you have probably started the right way, offering your services over the internet is a start. At 23, you are still young enough to qualify for the apprentice route but to be honest, the standard part 1, part 2 then assessment would probably work better for both you and an employer. You will get a start with a scaffold firm the same way you get a start with any other firm, get out and knock a few doors, good luck.

What was that post about Trad banning 21's all about?

If you are serious, you have probably started the right way, offering your services over the internet is a start. At 23, you are still young enough to qualify for the apprentice route but to be honest, the standard part 1, part 2 then assessment would probably work better for both you and an employer. You will get a start with a scaffold firm the same way you get a start with any other firm, get out and knock a few doors, good luck.

AOM can you please tell me more about this apprentice route?
as i said even a couple of days now and then with a firm soo thay see im not a messer no need to mess people about thats not me.
as for trad scaffolding i was on there website and there it was thay no longer use longens soo to speak!!!!

FB, I think the apprentice route is available until you are 24, but it varies from area to area, depends who has the cash at any one time. It's a fairly long winded way to get carded but it is the cheapest. It costs any employer, very little in monetary terms but the 2 week induction seems very laborious unless you are a very new start to the industry. 2 week induction, 6 months on site fetching gear, 2 week part 1, 6 month fetching gear, except on a Friday when the scaffs are too full of bacon and eggs to be bothered to do very much so you may get a twirl of a gun then, part 2, 6 month fighting with a scaffolder, telling him you are every bit as good as they are but more or less still fetching gear then final assessment, then rap the job in, head to the city following the yellow brick road as it's obviously paved with gold, only to return 1 week later asking for your old job back.

I think that is about right, might just be me.;)

IM not just after a ticket then run if some one was to take me on then put me on a course id stay true to them because what thay have done for me and in that time id of found my feet.
With the firm how its run how things are done ect whats the point in running away omly to come back looking the ****
iv got a wife and 2 kids wonce im there im there for the long run

I gathered FB, just turned in to a rant when I thought of how some have done it in the past.

The route is genuine enough, just the cash would be poor.

cash isnt what i want its the job i want if that makes sense

Yes, apprentice route may be an option. Not sure what's available in your area at the moment but emplyers can get a cash bonus for signing an apprentice up. May be worth asking c-skills what's available.

iv taken down a lot of number tonight soo il bee on the phone in the morning thanks buddy

No worries, hope you get something sharpish.

No age limit on apprentiships now , due to age discrimination laws , I spoke to the Citb apprentiship officer last month an that's what she told me

Top Bottom