Training a young un from school???

sadact

Reaction score
Hello all. Brother (age 16) is due to do his exams this summer and then is told he must do a year at college wasting his time doing art or another subject that will end up with him working in Asda. Can he come and work with me as an apprentice?? Thanks for any advice!!!!!!!!:idea:

Of course he can. I took on a 16 year old once, you have to be realistic, I grafted him hard a lot harder than I could have managed at the same age but he did get extra breaks as well. Take it easy on him, which could be difficult if it's your brother.

He has been on the odd weekend job and is keen to learn about 'REAL' work! Been told that gov has changed all the school stuff and he can not leave his education until he is 17?

Why does he have to do a year at college?? If he has a job to go to....

I thought it was going the other way, preparing 14-15 year olds for the working world rather than wasting everyone's time trying to get them to read a book. I can't tell you about school rules but can't see them stopping a young fit boy entering an apprenticeship.

Ahh, the old tory trick resurrected for the new millenium.

You have to stay at school until your 18 now in the uk , unless you are on an apprenticeship or you go to collage , basically you have to be in a learning based job , going to collage as well as working you can leave school at 17 . you cant leave school at 16 anymore and start work .

FFS, your joking, fit to go and fight for Queen and country but not get a job. New to me that one Phil, probably been out for ages though.

There you go Sadact, give him an apprenticeship and problem solved.

Thats exactly what i said Frederik. If a decent job with decent prospects is to be had then whats the problem? I know we all moan from time to time (or all the time!) but as an old boy said to me 'scaffoldings a drug young un'. He was right and i still enjoy it so why cant i take him out of school after his exams and help turn him into a 'proper bloke'?

You can leave school at 16 for an aprentiship,or full time work 20 hours at least with some form of training. Scotland has seperate rules. Just googled it. What a loada bollix:laugh:

WTF, can the Jocks still leave at 16?

Yeh thanks i will have a look at apprenticeships maybe even get a few quid to help him on his way!!!

Yeah it a loada w@nk by keeping them in enducation for extra 2 years it lowers unemployment in the under 25's to about 25% instantly

Contact construction skills they can help with a fully funded apprentiship..takes 2 years & he'll get his part 2 & much more...but there is criteria that uou have to follow & they'll be all over you to make sure your both do it right & dont abuse the apprentice( as if they ever get abused lolo).but the cash incentives & grants really help.
Its well worth looking into i put my son through it a few years back via birtch newton. Good luck cos ur gonna need it not to come to blows wiv him ...when he dont wanna do wot u tell em lolo

contact construction skills they can help with a fully funded apprentiship..takes 2 years & he'll get his part 2 & much more...but there is criteria that uou have to follow & they'll be all over you to make sure your both do it right & dont abuse the apprentice( as if they ever get abused lolo).but the cash incentives & grants really help.
Its well worth looking into i put my son through it a few years back via birtch newton. Good luck cos ur gonna need it not to come to blows wiv him ...when he dont wanna do wot u tell em lolo

first time i worked with the bros they both started stripping a doubble block and me trying to get it away wasnt happening. Was taking 1 pile and when bro 1 came from round bac of hosue screaming get my pile cleared so started that bro 2 came form round the other side and said the same so while i was clearing bro 2's pile bro 1 seem and says i feking told you to clear it turned round to find he was firing the shoulder full of 5 fts at me ahahah

Go for itmt i got same prob az well son leaves in oneyear timedoesnt want to stay on at school been pushin the same idea out to him

My son used to come in for the odd day during holidays & work in the yard painting fittings etc or site clearing but obviously h& s wouldnt allow that now lolo..but it gave him a good start with some basic knowledge ...the 2 year fully funded apprentiship gave him loafs pf quals as well as his pt2....& @24 he's just completed a fully funded advanced@ citb birmingham, just his portfolio & assessment to complete....so you can take advantage of the system

think twice before working with family, had two brothers working with me 1st one nearly came to blows every single day, 2nd jacked after 6months cause his shoulder hurts after he went on his course aswell, trust me let him get a start somewhere else first or in anouther gang at least.

i hate scaffolding with a passion and curse the day i said yes to a start.. but i cant ever see myself doing any other job, and wont want to.... sg4 10 has ruined scaffolding and turned the game a bit soft.. but still a hard job.

Top Bottom