train weight. (1 Viewer)

Tony Mason

Reaction score
Morning gents, can some one explain how the train weight works when towing a trailer. I'm thinking of getting a tow bar fitted to the tranny. Many thanks Tony.

the train weight is the weight of the vehicle, plus the trailer and it's maximum persimmible load. so it you car's kerbweight was 1500 kg, and the trailer weighted 200 kg with a 500 kg load, your train weight would be 2200 kg. your maximum train weight or GVW should be shown in your handook. I'm assuming towing a trailer is the same as caravan, so the total weight of trailer fully loadedshouldn't exceed more than 85% of the kerbweight of your vehicle for safety purposes.

Your towball will also have a noseweight rating, usually between 50kg and 75kg, depending on the vehicle, the trailer should be loaded so this figure is not exceeded!

Last edited:
So my tranny gross weight is 3.5t so with a trailer I can load to 85% of 3.5t including the weight of the tranny and trailer.

sorry should have made that a bit clearer, it's 85 percent of your maximum allowable towing weight. Easist way to do it is to subtract the train weight, the weight of the vehicle from the maximum GVW.

If the plate on the Transit were to say GVW 3500kgs and GTW 5000Kgs, then max loaded trailer weight which should be towed must not weigh over 1500kgs. you will have also have to take into account the weight of the trailer in that calculation too. hope this helps, maths was never my strong point, you may be surprised to hear!:cheesy:

Cheers gunslinger, that's just what I want
ed to know. Maths wasn't my best subject either.

Tony if you tow gear around im sure you will need to fit your tranny with a tachometer aswell.
Your tranny will have plate with towing weight limit on it, and the trailer you get will have a plate on it too, the one on the trailer can't be greater than the one on the transit

Get on a haulage forum for the full details

I was under the impression you could tow anything more than the unladen weight of the vehicle that is doing the towing eg tranny empty i think is 1.7 tonne empty ish so you can tow 1.7 tonne with including the weight of the triler plus what you put on the half back

You need to check your licence as well as you have to have it on there pre 96 was automatically on but after that you need to do a test for it...not sure but think the max permissable tow weight is 1.5tn
Think your ready to upgrade to a lorry lol

Very useful posts there

If you passed your test 97 on then there is a separate test for a trailer

Also I think you will need an operators license because you will weigh more than 3.5t gross.

Sounds like a bit of a mine field. It would be handy if I could use the trailer. Not at the size where I need a lorry yet, one day may be!!

Last edited:
Pretty sure you would need a o license but you should be able to drive it if you passed pre 97. Did you ever work for amber?

Pull it with a tractor larl massey fergey lol never see a tractor getting pulled over by vosa

Top Bottom