Tower crane

bigfish

Reaction score
Terrible accident the london tower crane crash,apparantly the crane operater was late for work and was climbing the tower at the point of impact and so his life was saved,the remains of the crane cab looks precarious and i would'nt like the job of dismantling that,i suppose they'll have to erect a second crane to dismantle the wreckage,but someone will still have to get on the big spanner,ooer:(

Surely it would be burnt off instead of spannered mate?

Mmm,it'd be interesting to know which way they'd go,handling a 1m burning gun at that height from a cradle is no simple task,falling slag,shifting weight in variable wind speeds and when you blow the bolt the head and shaft are prone to drop straight out(stop sniggering at the back!!)whereas with removal by ratchet they can drop a tapered pin in as the bolt's are removed ensuring that the only movement can be upward via crane,maybe someone on here knows how they'll do it,either way i'm glad it's not my headache:eek:

Read today they have organised the largest mobile crane in the country to take down what's left. Apparently takes 3 days to rig the thing!

Crane driver on our site said those cranes lift themselves up as it's the only way to get them that high,they go up section by section so he recons that's how they would have to get it down,good luck with that one!! God those two crane drivers where lucky should have done the lottery that day!!

The crane would not have been operating at that time because of fog,so no operater would have been up there,as for mobile cranes when the m74 extension was in progress europes biggest mobile crane was used to lift the bridge sections into place,at 180ft i doubt it'll be much use in this instance,and with the cab wrecked it'll be some feat to lower it's self,i still reckon they'll need at least one other tower crane for this job:cry:

just seen on the news looks like one of aincough 1200 tonmobile is going ta be one of the cranes used.. worked on a job with Stella fella and baldwins had a crane which took 52 artics to move it around the country, but then it was a crawler.!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom