Too much in a job???

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning Fellas.
Just a quick one.

Your Erecting a 10ft x 10ft (3m x3m) Birdcage - 35ft (10m) high.
9 Standards as usual.

But, the job has no ties in it and cannot be tied in at all, due to the client not wanting holes in their wall and with a complete lack of any windows or anything i cant even get a lip tie.

So... i say put Aberdeens in it, along with Plan Bracing at every Lift and Rakers at each of the 3 front Standards with Pull-Backs as a MINIMUM.

But apparently im putting too much into the job and making too much work???
When Erecting the top Lift there was a small amount to movement in the Scaffold, which im not happy about, as i think that a Scaffold should be solid at all times and not move like its made of jelly.

So my question is this:

If your Erecting a job that CANNOT be tied in that is a 10ft x 10ft, 35ft high Birdcage is a bit of Plan Bracing and Aberdeens at every Lift, along with 3 Rakers too much?

I personally think that i could and should have put more in the job, but the 2 other 'Scaffolders' working with me seemed to think otherwise.

Whats your views?

Last edited:
I think you should have a design for it if it cant be tied. and i doubt your putting too much into it, thats my job

External scaffold 3 times the height of the smallest base width without any ties
Me personally with my name on the job do it so your happy to walk away with it being safe in my own mind
It's your arse and rep on the line!

double to double non working lifts = no aberdeens required on those lifts so a little bit less work
and chase the brace which will remove the movement in the top lift otherwise not much wrong with that IMO,

PS who's the biggest and hardest cos he is always right:eek:

double to double non working lifts = no aberdeens required on those lifts so a little bit less work
and chase the brace which will remove the movement in the top lift otherwise not much wrong with that IMO,

PS who's the biggest and hardest cos he is always right:eek:

I'll run with that.

Yup.

9 Standards - as usual.
Boarded Lifts were Aberdeens and Trannies, unBoarded - Aberdeens only.
Braces were chased, ofcourse - but Swivel to Swivel ---> Me? I prefer Double to Double, but would have looked shiit, as we'd have gone Swivel to Double on the Boarded Lifts.

Anyway, ill answer my own question... f.uck it, lol.

I think that you can NEVER have too much in a job - the more the merrier.
The more braces and tubes - Double to Double, like Aberdeens and Bracing the better. Especially if you cant put ties in it. :cool:

I agree with Jackdan, I'd go with that personally.
As long as your 100% happy with it and it's safe J that's what counts, it's your name down on the sheet. If you want to put Aberdeens in go for it !
;)

Obviously the design thing blah blah blah but I would be happier if there were plans in it. It may not require it but the way things are now if there is any doubt even within the squad put a couple lifts of plan brace in.

The simple answer is, if the scaffold you are building does not comply with TG20:08 guidance you should seek advice from a design engineer. Anyone on here can tell you how they would build it, but I don't think a Judge would consider our advice as admissable if your scaffolds laid on top of somebody Monday morning :D. We all think it isn't going to happen to us but you never know.

PS

If you cant tie it, have you thought about Kentledge :D

Yup.

9 Standards - as usual.
Boarded Lifts were Aberdeens and Trannies, unBoarded - Aberdeens only.
Braces were chased, ofcourse - but Swivel to Swivel ---> Me? I prefer Double to Double, but would have looked shiit, as we'd have gone Swivel to Double on the Boarded Lifts.

Anyway, ill answer my own question... f.uck it, lol.

I think that you can NEVER have too much in a job - the more the merrier.
The more braces and tubes - Double to Double, like Aberdeens and Bracing the better. Especially if you cant put ties in it. :cool:
prefer the minimalistic theme myself , next to nothing in them .got told on inspection course that on birdcage scaffolds all lifts have to be double to double with the transoms on top on none boarded lifts and as aberdeens on boarded lifts

Dependeing on what it was being used for and how much weight was going on it (if it was light duty) i would do everything as said, double on double at none working lifts, plan brace it and buttress if needed. If I still thought it might go over then id try and hit the walls with tube at the top. If that isnt possible I would beef it up more, if that wernt good enough, i wouldnt do it an ask for a design.

Jason,

If I was the Inspector I would give you a pat on the back (and a pay rise of course lol), well done mate. That's the type of job you only have to look at and not climb all over it looking for mistakes, sign the tag and offski happy.

F**k the other two

You know the score Jason, if you can happily leave it for others to work on then you're doing it right. Doesn't sound over done to me, scaffold shouldn't move about. I get a bit of flak now and again for over doing jobs but meh, I can sleep at night not worrying about my jobs even in bad weather.

Top Bottom