Tieing handrail to a parapet wall.

MattScaff

Reaction score
Got a job that needs handrailing around a parapet wall, cant do it as an independent due to a lip that comes out and would force the handrail away from the wall by about a good ten inches.

Thought the best thing to use would be a couple of girders to anchor a butt across the parapet and then punch a tube up for the handrail. Also putting a cross brase on every corner above head hight.

Any thoughts on this, obv need to check the coping stones are secure before I start.

Failing the coping stones are crap. you can gat anchors that you drill into the wall and you fix your upright to that, you can get different types depending on how much clearence you require. I'll try find the brouchor in the yard tommorow and give you there no..

are they needing any accsess to the inside of the parra pit wall for flashign or anything if it is possible make the hand rail over the parrapit like the letter h couple of butts and a 8 ft obvusly you handrail across and ledger inside parra pit and out side parra pit depending how tight it is maby a few larl butts in to inside of parra pit

Hilti ring? Can't really do that mate, the bricks are old stocks which are as weak as fook, and I cant see the owners being very happy with holes left all over the brick work. :D

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

are they needing any accsess to the inside of the parra pit wall for flashign or anything if it is possible make the hand rail over the parrapit like the letter h couple of butts and a 8 ft obvusly you handrail across and ledger inside parra pit and out side parra pit depending how tight it is maby a few larl butts in to inside of parra pit

Think they're doing the box gutters, so I can drop down to much. Do you not think the girder clips could hold? I was going to use a double as a check.

I really cant see any other way around it.

Na matt, there 1 bracket that has two fixings to it and drill in the bed of the joint not the brick. no wrall plugs you use 19mm self tapping bolts, which are re usable. when finished you insert a plastic plug into the hole and that stops any moisture getting into the brickwork.. We use them all the time for roof handrails.

Hilti ring? Can't really do that mate, the bricks are old stocks which are as weak as fook, and I cant see the owners being very happy with holes left all over the brick work. :D

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Think they're doing the box gutters, so I can drop down to much. Do you not think the girder clips could hold? I was going to use a double as a check.

I really cant see any other way around it.

when you say girders do you mean sitting an I beam on the top of parra pit wall with put off it and punch up ? :nuts: lol how high is the building ? is the accsess form the floor right round ?

Na matt, there 1 bracket that has two fixings to it and drill in the bed of the joint not the brick. no wrall plugs you use 19mm self tapping bolts, which are re usable. when finished you insert a plastic plug into the hole and that stops any moisture getting into the brickwork.. We use them all the time for roof handrails.

If you could send them over itll be handy, cheers.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

when you say girders do you mean sitting an I beam on the top of parra pit wall with put off it and punch up ? :nuts: lol how high is the building ? is the accsess form the floor right round ?

these on both sides of the coping sone with a butt across:

images

13ft access tower. Building is about 30ft high.

Just set a reminder on my phone, i'll send you contact details when i get to the yard.. Always willing to help if i can mate..

If you could send them over itll be handy, cheers.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

these on both sides of the coping sone with a butt across:

images

13ft access tower. Building is about 30ft high.

ow intread of singles lol would work 5 ft on inside of parra pit with single under the lip of the parra ad a fails safe ruff but fek it lol

ow intread of singles lol would work 5 ft on inside of parra pit with single under the lip of the parra ad a fails safe ruff but fek it lol

I'm sure they're better than using singles. I'm going to use a five on the inside and a barny to check on the back. I think it should be fine.

Technically all h/r is supposed to be desighned now...but most of us dont bother but if this ones making you scratch ur head & seek advise from the forum it may be prudent to do so....i've never seen a girder clamp being used to pinch the back up & doesnt really seem fit for purpose...there are many systems available out there now to assist us unlike the old days my advise would be to use one of ADI's 140mm edge bracket fixed with a M12 self tapping excalliber screws

www.scaffoldfixings.com

Top Bottom