The Industry Norm

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
I read this posted by Trad recruitment on the jobs page. And I quote " can work to outputs that are the Industry norm which forms the basis upon which all Scaffolding Companies price and secure work at."

Now I am well aware of the output required in the Gulf (a fair bit) and Australia (not very much) so was wondering what sort of output is the industry norm in the UK these days.

Is it in m3, m2, linear metres, the square, plus boards, so many boards an hour, are TBT's etc included in this output?

Maybe some input from the big PLC guns, Trad etc. can be compared with that from say southernpoofter, philiousmaximus etc.

Good thread HSWT maybe it should have been called THE INDUSTRY NORM THE LIES END HERE,OR BEGIN HERE MORE TO THE POINT.
As a Scaffolder who has in the past been spun the usual lines as Its Linear Metres,You dont get payed for returns,The wagon will be there at 7 30 with your gear and the old classic."i give every penny on the job to the Lads"
I would like to ask how much the Targets have came down if they did when the double handrail came in,or the SG4s came into force.;)

A hard question to answer HSWT , we do a good mix of sites and street work.
Street work the lads need to produce an average of 6 square a day each , which is not unrealistic.
Site work with all the cr ap you have to put up with it would be more like 4 square , but having said that my lads always give me 100% effort , and sometimes dont meet
" the industry norm " and its not their fault , other days they do well beyond the norm.

I always try to do as little as possible, at a push handrail, toe boards and advanced brick guarding, on a good day 20m with labourer!!

Do know wot phil ure spot on...with us its mainly site we stear clear of street & commercial & have found a niche in refurb & the larger than normal house normally circa 12,000sft + so we dont really have a set norm...a crew could be 5man baseing out a biggie in a day or a crew of 3 support shoring over a week...but average is 250-300ft on the erect or 5-600ft strike per crew

All my lads give a 100% they all labour,all fix,all drive & none of em slack or want to let me or there m8s down...so if a day occurs when they dont cover their wages through no fault of there own then they dont get short changed as i know theyll pull the stops out to recoup the losses.

They get early finishes all the time...job & knocks...wet time often treated to breakie, cash loans & subs but most importanly paid on time everyweek direct into there bank & i cant remember ever dockin anyone
LOOK AFTER YOUR MEN & THEY'LL LOOK AFTER YOU AS YOUR REPUTATION IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE MEN YOU EMPLOY

Happy with reguards t ur question - the fcukin about of sg & tg has increased our workload my more than 25% but we havent been able to increase our prices at all

Last edited:
You know guys i would love to work on a firm where everyone does there bit

I do the driving, organise the work and gear, do the paperwork and inspections and still put out more work than most of the blokes that work with me

I had one lad say he likes working with me coz i graft and he can take it easy

when i was doing street it was 300ft min up to 5 lifts
good replys to this one and phillio and southern seem to have it right
scaffoldings is a hard graft but if you are treated well with good men then its the best game in the world GIVE ME A BELL WHEN YOUS OPEN A GLASGOW BRANCH LADS ;)

As a small street firm I always test new
Men by giving them a 3 bed semi to erect
And the same again to strike in a day!
Surprising how many scaffs can't do that
2 handed in 1 day!

Every job is different.

No not really. One LNG plant is pretty similar to another.

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

Some good replies there but no one has actually answered Trad's statement about Industry Norm output which forms the basis on which ALL scaffolding contractors price and secure contracts!

2 handed in 1 day!
I have had men that can't do a 3 sider in a day that's a **** take and when it's done it still isn't good

Northwest...8 ish a square erect, 3.5 strip......, square equates to a hour....6 hours for a loading bay base if your lucky 4 every lift after that, barratts ask for more in there jobs so more hours for say a backscratcher round a ladder access, but as for sg4 its on your toes to make it work.....if you take home 5-6 a week your doing well, firms arent soaking up the extra safety and gear being put into the jobs by tendering a higher price, its the blokes who are constantly just being told well thats what u have to put in.....thats why sg4 goes out the window because we need to feed our kids at the end of the day !!!!!!!

Last edited:
2 handed in 1 day!
Your dead right there are plenty who can't erect a 3 sider and finish it in a day and there is still problems with it

Joebag i think u'll find that most companies are having to swallow the xtra workload/ saftey etc. As the main contractors just arent allowing us to put the prices up. Just for instance - leaving the handrails down behind you - all that xtra tube could be earning money on another house instead of just sitting there so we have also gotta invest in more materials . Tbh we take as much of a hit as the workforce as the mc still expects the same price & time on a job & its up to us to make sure that happens

Well u know the answer to that joe....its proberbly a leasehire as a right off for tax but you know what - theres nothing stopping you putting everything on the line incl ur house.... invest in excess off 100k...work 18 hrs a day min of 6 days a week...worry urself stupid 70% of the time....receive little thanks but get slated off by many people ....yep sounds about a fair swap for goin home in a merc;)

A hard question to answer HSWT , we do a good mix of sites and street work.
Street work the lads need to produce an average of 6 square a day each , which is not unrealistic.
Site work with all the cr ap you have to put up with it would be more like 4 square , but having said that my lads always give me 100% effort , and sometimes dont meet
" the industry norm " and its not their fault , other days they do well beyond the norm.

Good stuff bigPhil and of course the expected output won't be met all the time but the good days make up for the bad.
Still waiting for some input from Trad as they made the analogy about output and pricing.

Well u know the answer to that joe....its proberbly a leasehire as a right off for tax but you know what - theres nothing stopping you putting everything on the line incl ur house.... invest in excess off 100k...work 18 hrs a day min of 6 days a week...worry urself stupid 70% of the time....receive little thanks but get slated off by many people ....yep sounds about a fair swap for goin home in a merc;)
So true that's why I have never exspaded

Do know wot phil ure spot on...with us its mainly site we stear clear of street & commercial & have found a niche in refurb & the larger than normal house normally circa 12,000sft + so we dont really have a set norm...a crew could be 5man baseing out a biggie in a day or a crew of 3 support shoring over a week...but average is 250-300ft on the erect or 5-600ft strike per crew

All my lads give a 100% they all labour,all fix,all drive & none of em slack or want to let me or there m8s down...so if a day occurs when they dont cover their wages through no fault of there own then they dont get short changed as i know theyll pull the stops out to recoup the losses.

They get early finishes all the time...job & knocks...wet time often treated to breakie, cash loans & subs but most importanly paid on time everyweek direct into there bank & i cant remember ever dockin anyone
LOOK AFTER YOUR MEN & THEY'LL LOOK AFTER YOU AS YOUR REPUTATION IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE MEN YOU EMPLOY

Happy with reguards t ur question - the fcukin about of sg & tg has increased our workload my more than 25% but we havent been able to increase our prices at all

Sounds like you have a good and happy company SP. Pity there aren't more firms about like that.

I can remember going back to the yard every afternoon or the next morning and having to give the days productivity to the boss. Including breakfast and loading etc. He wrote all this down in long hand as no computers in those days!! he would then use this while pricing new work.

Top Bottom