The gang stole the identities of people who answered their classified work adverts

HatterScaff

Reaction score
The gang stole the identities of people who answered their classified adverts offering the possibility of work:mad:

Fraud gang stole 3,000 identities from builders Ι Construction Enquirer

Four members of a Southampton-based organised crime gang have been jailed after stealing thousands of identities from construction workers in a bid to swindle £2m of Income Tax repayments.

The Eastern European quartet submitted false Self Assessment tax repayment claims using stolen and hijacked identities.

The gang stole the identities of people who answered their classified adverts offering the possibility of work, and also created identities based on contact details found in other classified notices.

Those whose identities were hijacked were mainly Polish builders and construction workers.

The victims were looking for work and replied to the fake adverts in a UK-based magazine aimed at Eastern Europeans.

One of the gang had been a tax agent and a number of workers who turned to him for advice had their identities hijacked.

Zoe Ellerbeck, HMRC Assistant Director Criminal Investigation, said: “This was a blatant, highly-organised attack to defraud the UK tax system of vast sums of money using the stolen identities of unsuspecting people.

“During our four-year investigation we discovered the gang hijacked at least 3,000 different identities in an attempt to claim money they weren’t entitled to.

“HMRC officers, working closely with local police forces, were able to stop over £1.3 million claimed by the fraudsters being paid out.”

After an identity was chosen, the fraudsters would fly friends and acquaintances from Lithuania into the UK to open bank accounts and create taxpayer identities in hijacked names.

The gang attempted to claim at least £2m from HMRC, but over £1.3m was withheld when officers checking repayment claims became suspicious.

The HMRC investigation began after Dorset Police uncovered an apparent fraud factory in Bournemouth, in February 2009.

Besik Zveiba, 41, and Kardo Anderson, 26, were found guilty by jury at Southampton Crown Court on 2 July 2013 of conspiracy to cheat the revenue.

On 26 April 2013 Ruslanas Bobrovas, 37, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to cheat the revenue. Lyubomyr Sytaiylo, 39, pleaded guilty in March 2013 to the conspiracy.

The four men received jail sentences totalling 22½ years.

Upon sentencing, His Honour Judge Peter Henry, said: “This was a large scale conspiracy to cheat the revenue over five years.

“It was not particularly sophisticated, it was nonetheless outrageous. It was straightforward in concept, but needed a great deal of planning.”

Fecking foreigners. They take our houses our jobs and now the try and take our money......BAASTERDS....

they dont take our money they are given it by way of family tax credits which are sent to their homelands directly by our great governments

I got stung few years ago ' the typical cash point theft'

Woke up on a Friday (payday) went to the bank,put card in and the screen shut down????!! Could not get card out, Now this was 7 in the morning had no phone so had to go all the way Back home ring the bank (24hrs service) to speak to customer services, so got thru told them my problem and I asked for my balance and I was £200 light!!!!! So I asked where it's gone and she said its been withdrawn at 7.10!.so had to wait for branch to open kicked right off in there and (FairPlay to the manager gave me £££ there and then) it turns out someone put a strip over the card reader (thought it went in a bit gingerly) so the police were called up left a statement and then waited......

About 6 weeks later received a letter in post saying 'due to lack of evidence we can not pursue, we know this is frustrating for you etc... Now I was livid I rang up the number they told me that they KNOW it was a gang of Lithuanians and they even knew the names of them( asked but wouldn't give me em *****) they have them on CCTV watching me from a bus stop putting in my pin!!!!

WTF!!!!! I even had a row with my foreman for being late ffs what a day!!! Rant over lol

Top Bottom