Tg20:08

wilson81craig

Reaction score
we go TG20:08 compliant from monday, but then can we compete with the other dodgy scaff firms in our area?

Go for it, and good luck ,and as for the dodgy firms Sod em Name and Shame
they shoudn,t be there.
Take pics and bombard HSE with em.
Maybe we all should send the HSE photos of dodgy Scaffolds and see what happens when they get hit on the email may get them off there shinny arses and get around town.

Yep Friday night had a few

The cream will always rise to the top, every man and his dog will be demanding compliance soon enough so you should be ahead of the game, good luck.

can the tg20 be done on a self employed price basis? our prices will increase, the average builder wont want to pay

Spot on Andymac, as i said before take photos of these cowboy jobs.

can the tg20 be done on a self employed price basis? our prices will increase, the average builder wont want to pay

He might not know it yet but he will pay for it wither he likes it or not, they all moan and groan but want the finest structure to be erected since the Eiffel tower on their sites.

Personally, I'm not totally convinced that the changes brought about by tg20 would slow down production from the average gang. I might be wrong but off the top of my head the only real changes I can think of is the tie patterns and sway brace spacing reduced and single bay brace now frowned on. I know there is loads of changes to what we can and can't build without design but on basic jobs has that much really changed?(or should I leave off the water of life?):eek:

With the sway brace not being allowed in a single bay, so must go thru 3 standards, where does the middle standard swivel go slap bang in the middle of the lift, no where near any node point, unless you go thru 2 lifts, if your doing 1 lift at a time the bracing looks to flat to me:weird:

With the sway brace not being allowed in a single bay, so must go thru 3 standards, where does the middle standard swivel go slap bang in the middle of the lift, no where near any node point, unless you go thru 2 lifts, if your doing 1 lift at a time the bracing looks to flat to me:weird:

T.ANIMAL

In TG:20 the sway brace is supposed to go accross 2 bays and through 2 lifts and from a tie point to a tie point, with these also being the ledger braced frames.

I personally don't like this method and would sooner sway brace accross 1 bay at a time although this means adding a bit of plan bracing. Bracing with 9ft tubes is also much safer than hanging over the handrail and fitting an 18ft tube to the outside of the job.

One more thing, I don't know if any of the engineers on here can shed any light on this one? In TG:20 the sway braced bay on the base lift has a single rail fitted, is this required for design, or is it pureley to stop people banging their noggin when ducking under the brace?

Facade / sway Brace is still allowed over a single bay however plan brace must be fixed at 8m.
The preferred method is two bays between ledger braced standards, however if not between ledger braced standards then plan bracing will be required.

T.ANIMAL

In TG:20 the sway brace is supposed to go accross 2 bays and through 2 lifts and from a tie point to a tie point, with these also being the ledger braced frames.

I personally don't like this method and would sooner sway brace accross 1 bay at a time although this means adding a bit of plan bracing. Bracing with 9ft tubes is also much safer than hanging over the handrail and fitting an 18ft tube to the outside of the job.

One more thing, I don't know if any of the engineers on here can shed any light on this one? In TG:20 the sway braced bay on the base lift has a single rail fitted, is this required for design, or is it pureley to stop people banging their noggin when ducking under the brace?

Good point Collo. I've never really noticed it anywhere before until I got the CADS system, looks mental on every braced bay.

T.ANIMAL

Just because the brace has to extend over two bays and two lifts doesn't mean you have to use a single long tube. There's nothing to stop you using two individual 9 ft. tubes, either fixed separately to the middle standard with swivels or joined with a sleeve coupler :blink1:

As for the single rail at the base, if it was structural it would be in every lift, therefore it must just be to stop sore heads :laugh:

info tg20

hi guys i have been stuck here in the middle east for a few years as Scaffolding Manager and thinking about asking Cape to transfer me back home to Scotland, i now see this TG20 stuff and think i need to be knowledgable, what is the best download so i can read up on it ? is there any test/card etc ? last course i done was SG 40:5 instructor in Aberdeen March 2007.

Thanks in advance Gordon.

hi guys i have been stuck here in the middle east for a few years as Scaffolding Manager and thinking about asking Cape to transfer me back home to Scotland, i now see this TG20 stuff and think i need to be knowledgable, what is the best download so i can read up on it ? is there any test/card etc ? last course i done was SG 40:5 instructor in Aberdeen March 2007.

Thanks in advance Gordon.

ask Cape they are training all their staff in it.

Top Bottom