Testing Scaffold Ties

Swantest

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have started out a new testing division of our company. We provide Independent verification – third party checks of design, plate bearing tests under foundations, component testing, pull out tests on anchors – independent verification of all elements of scaffolds.

Is this a service that many of you would use ?
If so please contact me.

Also, if this is the type of service that you were searching for, where would you look? What type of magazine do most scaffolders check ?

This is a new venture that I am really trying to get up and running so al your comments and input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Conor

Hi coner...good idea for the smaller company that hasnt got the funds for the testing equipment good luck in your new venture. Wheres your trading footprint & how much are you thinking for testing a hilti ring with a certificate

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have started out a new testing division of our company. We provide Independent verification – third party checks of design, plate bearing tests under foundations, component testing, pull out tests on anchors – independent verification of all elements of scaffolds.

Is this a service that many of you would use ?
If so please contact me.

Also, if this is the type of service that you were searching for, where would you look? What type of magazine do most scaffolders check ?

This is a new venture that I am really trying to get up and running so al your comments and input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Conor

razzel

Hi coner...good idea for the smaller company that hasnt got the funds for the testing equipment good luck in your new venture. Wheres your trading footprint & how much are you thinking for testing a hilti ring with a certificate

Hello,

We are based just South of London so we mainly operate right across London and the Home Counties. However we have done work further a field if required.

We normally charge between £195 - £275 per visit to test anchors, with a maximum of 20 fixings to be tested. All tests come with a test cert and were approved testers with the Construction Fixings Association.

Yes we are approved testers by the Construction Fixings Association and are listed on their website.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Hello,

We are based just South of London so we mainly operate right across London and the Home Counties. However we have done work further a field if required.

We normally charge between £195 - £275 per visit to test anchors, with a maximum of 20 fixings to be tested. All tests come with a test cert and were approved testers with the Construction Fixings Association.

How much is it to get certified ourselves,?

If training providers included this on part 2 courses parasites wouldnt be sucking the life out of our game....independent tie test firms honestly...how do you know the scaffolds safe to go up to test....if you trust us to buildvthe thing yourvstood on do u think im going to trust any muppet to test my ties, fkin parasites :mad:

Think thats a bit strong joebag tbh £195-£275 is quite reasonable if you were to test 20 of your own ties its gonna cost u around £1200 for the hydajaws- which you need to have recalibrated & certified every year..then you gotta get trained & certified to use it,thats a day off work +training fee.then another day off the spanners to test em all, do the paperwork buy the tags for em & submit a test report to the main contractor as proof off both compentancy & complience so if ur a small 1man band type company then it maybe the cheeper & less hassle option...personally it was more cost effective for me to get our own tester & do it in house

Got to agree with you sp. we've got 5 lads trained on tie testing, along with the resin type as well. Would hate to think of the cost of training but for our firm its worth it, as nearly every job we do needs tieing at some point..

The thing is we're the complete opposite....we could go weeks without the need then all of a sudden maybe 40+ then more weeks & weeks & maybe 2 but those that just house bash may only do a few a year & for them the outlay just aint worth it, just as well to get someone in- brandon hire used to hire the hydrajaws for about £50 but you still have to have a certificate of competency & thats were the systems wrong all scaffs should be trainned to do it on their basic course

They showed us on our advanced at the ncc midlands SP. Didn't do the drilling but used the tester.
But it would be an advantage to incorporate in the part 2 course.

Agree SP All scaffolders should be trained in the installation and testing of invasive ties

Swantest welcome to the forum,I wish you well in your new venture, although your clients will expect you to pass their ties and issue a cert.

The moaning starts when you pull out a few :sick:

Some good points made there guys. The scaffold tie testsing is not the only service we provide. We added the tie tests as we seen the need for it. Another part of our company does scaffold design and temporary works design. As a legal requirement they have to specify on any drawings they produce that all ties / fixings must be tested in accordance with TG4:11 or the relevant code. We were then seeing that clients were looking for 3rd party independent testing of these ties as let's be honest there may be a conflict of interest if ties are tested by the same person who installed them unless each test is witnessed by the client.

So we haven't started this business to try pinch a living from the scaffolders profits. It's an additional service as we already had the equipment and training to do it.

Joebag You could get yourself certified very quickly by visiting a Doctor!! LOL Joke!

Well done Conor for adding this service for Scaffolders as we know that it is not viable for every Scaffolding Co to buy a tester from us at Hydrajaws.

If im trusted to put the scaffold up that your stood on to test the ties then why is it a conflict of interest....also how are you covered to get up on it in the first place ?

Because If you've built it and want paid then you may be tempted to be 'liberal' with the truth should the odd tie fail.

Top Bottom