temporary hand rail

richard challis

Reaction score
evening all we ve been doing loads of scaffolds for solar panel companys lately and it seems the thing that takes the longest is the temporary hand rails up the sides.i know its all in the price but there must be something easier as we cant hilti many jobs so have to scaffold it.

Just box the handrail in, nowt fancy, FFS, guys arnt on a suicide mission, throwing themselves off.

My opinion, and mine only, up to now;)
Why look for a different harder avenue of erecting /dismantling scaffold structures, TG20:08 is not much different to BS5973, SG4:10 is a arse covering exercise.

Stick to your own RAMS, and comply to WAHR 2005, The step-up platform is not the only solution, and you can use the progressive GR.

Hi Richard, we are doing a few of these solar panel jobs as well but most have been really low level stuff. Unless I have miss-read your post, we just lie a paddy up either side as if it were a saddle and punch up to form the rail. This is for very small domestic solar panels though, maybe you are doing the big stuff.

Another option we looked at for a temp hand rail round a large flat roof was Opollo brackets screwed in with 2 Opollo bolts which is a lot faster stronger and easier than any hilti option we have used.

its very rare the panels are the same size of the whole roof slope, get the sizes and just make sure the lads have plenty space to work and box it all off by needling into the roof

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

or why not get some sort of ridge shaped plates made with a 8 inch butt welded to it, sleeve it off , run handrails to it then from one to other the 2 ties onec each end back to scaffold , bit ally tube would be rapid lol

Top Bottom