T&F Base out

longun

Reaction score
Just wondering what length tube you prefer to use for basing out the standards. I have worked with different animals, some do 21 & 16, 21 & 10 then either hemp long or 16 all the way up.

Just wondering what works best for you guys and what works out easiest etc. Any little tricks and tips to share with those younglings like me that are still quite fresh in comparison to the grandads.:toung:

21's all the way up years ago. 3 standard lifts of 6'6'' enough to top out at a comfortable hight. Result; less topping out to do.
Unfortunately we have been banned from doing this for a number of years now due to staggered lifts/ledgers.
The HSE would have had kittens now if they went back in time 30 years.:laugh:

I suppose it all depends on the Lift heights and how high the Base Lift is.
I try to keep the stager as much as possible so 21fts and 13fts aint too bad - especially if you have a big 9ft or so Base Lift, then your 13fts wont muck up your next 2m lift.

If there is no Drawing and im let loose to Base out a job on my own, then:

21ft and 13ft Standards, with 21fts as Hemps all the way (unless they are above waist height - then its a 16ft Hemp - im no hero, 16fts will do. :)).
A 3m Base Lift, then 2m Lifts all the way up. (13ft/4m Standards mean you can put a Handrail in BEFORE you Hemp up for the other Lifts).

5ft Trannies, ofcourse - but if its not being sheeted/Monaflex then its 4 + 1 for your Boards and if it is, its 4 + 2, so your Trannies dont stick out.

10ft Sway Bracing - over 2 Standards (all this Sway Bracing over 3 Standards is non-sense and it looks crap also, lol).

But, it hardly ever works out that way, as there is always a Drawing to go to and then i cant have any fun. :cry:

But, it hardly ever works out that way, as there is always a Drawing to go to and then i cant have any fun. :cry:

I admit I hate all this drawing bollox. I had been stuck on Network rail jobs for the last two years and they LOVE drawings. I am sure they even pleasure themselves over them. I have missed be allowed to be a scaffolder and use the brain. When I started back in 05 it was all good till the last few years.

I admit I hate all this drawing bollox. I had been stuck on Network rail jobs for the last two years and they LOVE drawings. I am sure they even pleasure themselves over them. I have missed be allowed to be a scaffolder and use the brain. When I started back in 05 it was all good till the last few years.

you should have been around 25 years ago longun working on the ici plants around teeside they useto let there riggers put scaffolding up you got some right states standards on butterflys then leddgers on clips over to to a swivel on the other standard it was interesting to stip them ive even seen a scaffold decked out by an old door pity they didnt give them fukers drawing as well as cards

you should have been around 25 years ago longun working on the ici plants around teeside they useto let there riggers put scaffolding up you got some right states standards on butterflys then leddgers on clips over to to a swivel on the other standard it was interesting to stip them ive even seen a scaffold decked out by an old door pity they didnt give them fukers drawing as well as cards

haha. I have seen some ***** like that in the last 25 days.

One splay scaffold inside a cylinder included the use of two ally towers which where them hemped up for another lift then some sort out splay involving cuplock, ally tower tube, real tube, boards oversailing a metre... was so bad the two "vastly experienced" scaffolders where removed from site.

Was interesting watching the welders tip toeing around the scaffold and using a large heavy wooden box to counterweight the oversailing boards.

21's and 13's are prefered nowadays,not like it used to be,when it would be 21's all the way,the higher the hemper the better lol,and you'd be sniggering about who'd end up striking it:amuse:i also remember when we used to work on the high rise flats with 8ft lifts,two beer crates ziptied together,no handrail off two boards,we'd often put a double on the standard,stand on it with your other leg wrapped around it to get a particularily high hemp:eek:the return corner standard was always a tw*t,espescialy if it was on the windward side,they were the ones the not to confident would shy away from:laugh:many a bad back was earned on the old corner topper,ah the good old days:)

It was always a good feeling to strike a job and see a youngun stare up at a high top out with total fear on his face , then you would walk over and whip it out without breaking stride , the look of amazement was always worth putting up with the lazy buggers :toung:

crnt rember last time we at our spot have ever staggerd standards ledgers we tend to do now and again it but never standards 2'1 in everyting the other tubes in the yard are just therre for makeups on the ledgers :laugh::laugh:​

crnt rember last time we at our spot have ever staggerd standards ledgers we tend to do now and again it but never standards 2'1 in everyting the other tubes in the yard are just therre for makeups on the ledgers :laugh::laugh:​

No HSE spies up your way then

companies been pulled as few time but its just for clipping on and no harnesses as there driving past and all they say is about sg never heard them mention tg ...althow this weeknd there on a bank and some dogsbody form the banks what ever has told them everything needs to be staggerd and scaffsteps used and what ever eles and his going to be on site allday on sunday ......needs to get a hobbie of a sunday lol

21'/15, then top up as required - i was taught many years ago by my mentor who used to say you get old scaffolders and bold scaffolders...but you dont get any old ,bold scaffolders - if the hemp is above chest height, just put a tube in it long enough to pick up the next ledger or if on the outside ledger and handrail, leaving enough topper for a comfortable hemp on that next lift, dont put a long in just because you can and wanna look cool, cos the poor fuuucker that comes along to strike it might not have your ability to hemp and lose it

We normally just use 21's and 16's. As with everyone else if there is some kind of f up we can revert to putting in an 8 or a 13 but I tend to over do the first couple of lift heights and find the 13's are a bit shy especially if there is a foot lift. Best just keep it simple with the paddy's and 16's.:idea:

I use the first thing i get my hands on of the lorry and just keep hemping till i get to the top

scenario with site work

depends on lift heights (tends to be 5ft to 6ft max) as we all know when hemping the sleeve must be in the bottom third of the bay/lift, also the inside standards must be 40ins proud of the working platform so 13's would be too short as they are not 40ins above the board and too long as the sleeve will not be in the bottom third of the bay/lift

so technically no length of tube would be correct

whilst replying, on site when we now fix sway braces we have to fix them on corners on two standards and if run more than seven bays put another one in the middle therefore an eight bay run has three sway braces

anyone else have this

It was always a good feeling to strike a job and see a youngun stare up at a high top out with total fear on his face , then you would walk over and whip it out without breaking stride , the look of amazement was always worth putting up with the lazy buggers :toung:

You know few years ago I was assisting an advanced strike a large tower on a street, he was, and still is, a big feller. Could quite easily crush my neck with one hand. And we got to a topper which was a 21' at face height.

"Go on then" he said to me. I'm not the strongest man, I'll admit that and there was no way I could take out a 21 at face height when I wasn't comfortable at chest. "No way, you're in the big 'un" I replied.

Insisting I was useless and good for nothing weedy nobody, he set about taking the topper out.

10 minutes later he still hadn't got it out, had to admit defeat and put in a temporary step so he could comfortably get it out. I'm very proud of myself for resisting and not howling with laughter at his humble pie because even if he struggled with that 21 he wouldn't have struggled launching me off the tower! :nuts:

Top Bottom