sway bracing

joebag

Reaction score
whats the difference between all the different sway brace patterns structually,surely their is a optimal pattern that is the best suited to all jobs and would it be better to just throw aberdeens in and go on doubles instead of swivs,personally i do like across two bays up two lifts with a 16ft but rarely go off doubles ?

whats the difference between all the different sway brace patterns structually,surely their is a optimal pattern that is the best suited to all jobs and would it be better to just throw aberdeens in and go on doubles instead of swivs,personally i do like across two bays up two lifts with a 16ft but rarely go off doubles ?

There are now apparently only two types of sway brace
1) across one bay by one lift (which involves plan bracing)
2) across 2 bays by 2 lifts.
My preference in T&F was always option 3 but in system was always option 2 due to the 2.5m bay size.
TG20 has now decreed that via frame analysis that option 3 is the most straight forward route
regards
Alan

Last edited:
I have noticed recently that a few firms are putting in there sways across 2 bays by one lift in London , looks a bit odd but sort of grows on you :nuts:

I have noticed recently that a few firms are putting in there sways across 2 bays by one lift in London , looks a bit odd but sort of grows on you :nuts:

I have also been aware of this however I believe this to be a misunderstanding of the code requirement and as such falls outside TG20.

I thought that was the right way to do it now across two bays.

looks very flat over 2 bays and 1 lift , Alan i thought the days of the continues sway brace where long gone as the sleeve was a weak point ?

hence the reason behind it,system would have set out distances which would guarantee the node point being hit every time,,,,or am i going all jfk grassy knoll again lol,16 footers across 2 bays and 2 lifts gets me sorted and passed on most bay sizes,if not use a long;)

looks very flat over 2 bays and 1 lift , Alan i thought the days of the continues sway brace where long gone as the sleeve was a weak point ?

Philliosmaximus
My error on the full ht.
The 2 bays one lift is in correct in accordance with the TG20 recomendations

Pack a scrum down as low as possible,for strength.Also seen a few,2 bays one lift,odd looking but on scrum analogy,would take some shifting!!

Easy to climb as well:D

alan when using sways should they ideally rest onto each other,always did this as i thought it would help stiffen it up,probably an old wives tale;)

Philliosmaximus
My error on the full ht.
The 2 bays one lift is in correct in accordance with the TG20 recomendations

I thought we had this discussion a while back Alan, when I was very surprised to learn that 2 bays 1 lift was actually stronger as per Jasons pictures of his staircase?

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

alan when using sways should they ideally rest onto each other,always did this as i thought it would help stiffen it up,probably an old wives tale;)

As I understood it Joe it can interrupt the weight transferability, but that too could be an old wives tale.:embarrest:

2 bays 1 lift is sh1t . nowhere near 45 degrees and the middle swivels no where near the node point. 1 bay 1 lift 8m or less , 2 bays 2 lifts if going more than 8m unless you want to start putting plan bracing in. the sway through 2 lifts should start and stop at a tie and a brace.

Agreed, I do think it looks poor and have never been asked to do it but it is stronger.

i hate the look of the 1 lift 2 bays and h8 putting int 2 bays two lifts 19 ft 1 bay 1 lift :bigsmile: ill walk away from a man putting in a 2 bay 2 lift harld ever works out, whats the rules with plan braces then after so many lift or on base lift and then ever so many? and like said is it twigged twise across two bay between ties ?

what width bays are you puttin in marra,on towers plan bracing underneath the kicker,every other lift and underneath the working lift,on a independent i cant be arsed getting my notes lid ;)

i hate the look of the 1 lift 2 bays and h8 putting int 2 bays two lifts 19 ft 1 bay 1 lift :bigsmile: ill walk away from a man putting in a 2 bay 2 lift harld ever works out, whats the rules with plan braces then after so many lift or on base lift and then ever so many? and like said is it twigged twise across two bay between ties ?

You are perfectly entitled to put in single sways over 1 bay but you have to add plans after 8m high.

what width bays are you puttin in marra,on towers plan bracing underneath the kicker,every other lift and underneath the working lift,on a independent i cant be arsed getting my notes lid ;)

eagle bays marra lol stoped it thow every thing done to the book thats to my knowledge after spending 120 man hours ~(3 of us so 3 days)sorting some 1 eles sh1t out/ doubble doubble hand rail no lapped toe boards etc my new saying now is do it right do it once now away to fek lol, i quote you '' towers plan bracing underneath the kicker,every other lift and underneath the working lift'' now if that was any 1 eles marra i would believe them but as its you and you think a tower can have more than 4 standards am tajking it with a pinbch of salt ;)oj marra cheers :laugh::laugh:

You are perfectly entitled to put in single sways over 1 bay but you have to add plans after 8m high.

but if over 2 bays you dont have to plan brace it ? how often after 8 m another 8m marra ? and is it like states twigged twice overe 2 bays between ties?

Top Bottom