supervisor / contract manager

paul

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what is expected from a supervisor as in what the actual job is on a day to day basis and also what is expected from a contracts manager ?

That is quite easy to answer.
drive around looking at totty all day.

no infact scaffolders never realise that the managers work 24 hr days. they get grief from directors , clients , scaffolders, wagon drivers and everybody else who can moan like fuk at them.
They then have to win you the work to keep everybody employed and pay out the crap wages due to everybody wanting scaffolding for free these days. sometimes stacking shelves in tesco's seems heaven. instead of changing nappies and wiping everybodies arse's day after day.

Scaffolding Management & Supervisory Training
To meet the demands of today’s scaffolding industry, the CISRS and NASC have
identified the need for management and supervisory training to provide the knowledge
and management skills tailored for contract scaffolding.
The Scaffolding Supervisors course is now available from Accredited Centres and CISRS
is planning to introduce a new Scaffolding Managers training course in the future.
3.1 Scaffolding Supervisor
The 5 day Scaffolding Supervisor training is available from CISRS Accredited
Centres. It is aimed at scaffolding contractors’ first-line supervision (i.e. Contract
Supervisors, Foremen and Chargehands).
The course content includes:
Health and Safety
l Legal Overview - Health & Safety Law
l Health and Safety Management
l HSE ACOP’s and Guidance
Performance Standards
l British and European Standards
l NASC Safety and Technical Guidance
l Design Engineering Appreciation
Employment Basics
l Legal Overview - Employment Law
l Recruitment
l Discipline and Grievance
l Managing Absence
l Managing Conflict and Resolution
Supervisory Skills
l Planning and Organisation
l Materials and Logistics
l Competence and Allocating Duties
l Effective Supervision
l Commissioning and Handover
l Statutory Scaffold Inspections and Inspection Practices
l Effective Communication
(including basic presentation skill, briefings and toolbox talks)
l Meeting Skills
l Customer Relations
Commercial Essentials
l NASC Commercial Guidance
l Sales, Estimating and Surveying
l Contracts Awareness
l Managing Variations
l Valuations and Payment
l Payment Disputes and Remedies
Risk Assessment Project
Delegates are required to sit a written test and submit a project which contributes
to the overall assessment.
Successful delegates will receive a CISRS endorsed certificate and can apply for
the CISRS Supervisors Card, providing they have passed the CSCS Supervisor
Level Health and Safety Test within previous 2 years.

Hate the job , pud aint wrong with what he says

That is quite easy to answer.
drive around looking at totty all day.

no infact scaffolders never realise that the managers work 24 hr days. they get grief from directors , clients , scaffolders, wagon drivers and everybody else who can moan like fuk at them.
They then have to win you the work to keep everybody employed and pay out the crap wages due to everybody wanting scaffolding for free these days. sometimes stacking shelves in tesco's seems heaven. instead of changing nappies and wiping everybodies arse's day after day.

HAHAHA, just about sums it up

The main duty of a supervisor is the control and monitor the work.
Every company has targets and the supervisor role puts you on the hot spot for achiveing them.
The supervisor role is a bit of a thankless position, you get pressure from above and pressure from the men. What ever goes wrong is your fault ! but, its a step on the ladder.
You need very thick skin when you get some **** site agent spitting his dummy on a monday morning because the boys have joined the monday club !

So far this morning I have..

3 called in sick
1 no show
1 apparently gone on holiday
3 on some bloody apprenticeship crap

Not a bad start.

Its always been the same

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

i was a supervisor for 15 years up untill xmas, i was layed off so if you hear of a position going in london please let me know thanks

Did three years supervising then a couple as a contracts manager for the same firm
I learnt a great deal in those five years,I always thought it was about putting up the scaffold (scaffolders) soon found out about the ins and outs of the management side of this game.

So much so that I left and set up on my own,thought if I was getting all these headaches I may as well get them for myself and take a big slice of the profits at the year end

The one and only Terry Wescott !!!!! does anyone know him

Top Bottom