Supervision numbers

scaffdar

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quickie- on a previous job one of my supervisors quoted a figure of 9 men, when talking about the number of numbers supervisor SHOULD have under them. I can imagine that'll depend on alot of factors etc. but is this quoted somewhere ? Cheers for looking:cheesy:

Had many an argument on this subject with one of the world's leading EPCM contractors in Australia.
They insisted the ratio for scaffolders was 1:20 however they accepted the ratio for mechanical, electrical or insulation was 1:10.
Eventually they agreed that scaffolding should attract the same ratio.

Always tried to work on the rario of 1 supervisor to 10 scaffolders but as its a service industry and men fluctuate this is not always the case

It surely has to depend on type of works- I was just curious as to seeing it in black and white in some guidance somewhere but a firm of 10 x 2 man gangs doin some good old house bashin' is gonna be a different need to 20 men on one part of a new build on blue book. But thanks for the opinions, it's all down to experience eh

Depends on who you work for.
about 8 years ago I ran a site as supervisor 27 men at its peak, I was running around like a freckin headless chicken, organising men,s workloads, safety meetings, giving toolbox talks, meetings with own management, meetings with Tom **** and Harry and anybody else who wanted to waste freckin time:confused:

When I persuaded them I needed a hand and got my wish we then went down to 15 men and they took him away again!!!!

I love this job:bigsmile:

In all my time in the industry I have never heard of an equation on Men/Supervision.

When I was with SGB it was more a case of being allocated a project...if that project carried 100 men then so be it...Think the maxiumn amount of scaffolders I have in the past been responsible for is approaching 70...I did however have 7 or 8 Great Foreman Scaffolders who looked after the day to day stuff with myself having overall responsiblilty for Safety, Productivity, Finances and Discipline and attend all programme meetins etc.

And I'd never argue Paul, it was SGB I was on with at the time as it goes, I think at peak each supervisor must have had anything from 25 to 35 scaff's each but dropped to 12 ish near completion. I think as health n safety has developed within principal contractor's requirements or demands the numbers will slowly have decreased but then it depends on whose footing the bill doesn't it ha ha

Always tried to work on the rario of 1 supervisor to 10 scaffolders but as its a service industry and men fluctuate this is not always the case

Seems a fair ratio.
Too many blokes will mean that the Supervisor cant dedicate the time to correctly manage them.

If i remember correctly, TRAD was a 15:1 ratio, when i was on there, once apon a time...

Had a good chat with Ray from safety and access about it yesterday and think he hit the nail on the head- if you've got 12-15 great scaff's that don't often put up anything unacceptable, they won't need much supervision. But get 4-6 spanner monkeys with pay as you go cards, well you're gonna be a busy man if you're supervising them.

In all my time in the industry I have never heard of an equation on Men/Supervision.

When I was with SGB it was more a case of being allocated a project...if that project carried 100 men then so be it...Think the maxiumn amount of scaffolders I have in the past been responsible for is approaching 70...I did however have 7 or 8 Great Foreman Scaffolders who looked after the day to day stuff with myself having overall responsiblilty for Safety, Productivity, Finances and Discipline and attend all programme meetins etc.

You were really managing the project then PW. Of course SGB would still call it supervising. It depends on your command structure if you have foremen. leading hands etc.
In these days of health and safety when a supervisor has to sign off a crews JHA and is ultimately called to account if something occurs, not forgetting there are plenty of scaffolders who are incapable of doing anything unless pushed by a supervisor (and dont just say sack them its not that simple in Oz lol) I think 4 crews of 3 is ample.

Gorgon Project in west oz, 6:1 on CBI works.

480 scaffolders required = lots of white hats!

Top Bottom