subs & insurance. help!!

clarkey

Reaction score
Evening all, can you help me please taken on some sub-contractor scaffs we got them to sign a sub contractor contract then ask for there insurance (public liability) but the said its not down to them, they said its down to us off are insurance.
Does not sound right to me!

surely they need there own insurance.

If they are bona-fide sub contractors they would usually have their own insurance.
I know some lads who have worked for the same company for years and they have their own insurance.

At the end of the day if you don't want them working on your insurance,(some policies only cover you if employees are directly employed) give them the choice, get their own insurance or no job

Im no expert , but if these guys are self employed , would they not need to have some sort of insurance behind them , after all their operatin as a 1 person company , so would they not need some sort of insurance for themselves incase of accidents

If you are paying them as CIS self employed then i think its down to you.

havin worked self employed now and then especially in the last few years , id always wondered about this , i eventually got myself covered with an insurance policy incase of accidents , but the majority of employers ive had with self employment have not even mentioned anything like this , also when working through agencys in scotland and england no one seems to really mention it , can anyone clarify this situation , what it should be?

Im self employed and was for years previously.
Never had insurance or ever been asked for any ?!!!

if a self employed guy doesnt work he doesnt earn , so surely if a self employed guy falls an hurts himself , he must need to have insurance or something , who else will pay for his hospital bills an stuff

I think and dont quote me but if they are LOSC, labour only sub contractors they can be on your insurance but you need to notify your broker they are on for you. If they are in a wagon supplying their own gear they need it.

IF

If you

have to do the work yourself

work for one person at a time, who is in charge of what you do and takes on the risks of the business

can be told how, when and where you do your work
have to work a set amount of hours

are paid a regular amount according to the hours you work, and get paid for working overtime

then you are classed as employed and not self employed, so i guess you wouldnt need insurance in that case

Eh
The NHS mate :)
Same as any other Tom, **** or Ikram that walses into the country
That's what you pay national insurance for
However won't cover any loss of earnings
How much is insurance ? Bet it's alot as high risk job

WORKED FOR AN AGENCEY FOR TRAD ON FINS PARK THE AGENCEY GOT US INSURED OUT OF OUR RATE DIDNT KNOW THIS UNTILL WE RECIVED OUR WAGE WITH INFO IN IT BUT THAT MIGHT JUST DEPEND ON THE AGENCEY TO BE HONEST I THINK ITS WAS £6 OR £8 A WEEK BUT IF YA BROKE A FINGER IT PAID OUT A MINMMUN OF £4,000 AND UP TO 15,000 DEPENDED ON WHICH FINGER AND WHICH PART OF THE FINGER IF WE HAD KNOWN THIS WE WOULDENT OF BEEN TW@TING LAYHER JUST EACH OTHERS HANDS :laugh:

All the agencies i've worked for have all used payroll companies to pay your wages, ( ie:- the guild, crest etc, and they have always taken 20% for tax, admin fee plus insurance
which was normally about 3 or 4 quid a week.

Gary has it right. If you are treating them as "employees" then they should be covered by your insurance.

Gary has it right. If you are treating them as "employees" then they should be covered by your insurance.

Like gary said, if there using the company gear and directed by the company then they are employees, so many grey areas now with sub contracting.

Evening all, can you help me please taken on some sub-contractor scaffs we got them to sign a sub contractor contract then ask for there insurance (public liability) but the said its not down to them, they said its down to us off are insurance.
Does not sound right to me!

surely they need there own insurance.

It doesnt matter if the subbies are self employed, through an agency or other. If you are giving them direct supervision or control whilst on site (master/servant relationship) then you the company are resonsible for them under the Employers Liability cover. your Public Liability cover should also cover them, provided you have declared their wages within your projections to the broker (or number of persons if insured this way)

Yes - the subbies should at least hold their own PL insurance of say, £1m to cover them for negligent acts by themselves, however as above the 'employing' firm or master is overal resposnible.

If a subbie falls off your scaffold, working under your risk assessment, method statement and direction - who would be held accountable - YOU.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

All the agencies i've worked for have all used payroll companies to pay your wages, ( ie:- the guild, crest etc, and they have always taken 20% for tax, admin fee plus insurance
which was normally about 3 or 4 quid a week.

Please see my other thread on this - some agencies dont cover you properly whilst on site for injury as a result of direct action or supervision by your employing company.

Top Bottom