subbies or on the books

• Thread starter steveo south east
  • Start date
S

steveo south east

How many people have been forced to go self employed to stay in work or get a job?
I went self employed 8 years ago because my boss said he could give me more money :idea: so not being one to turn down a pay rise I took it its taken about 3 years to work out the system to rightfully claim back what I am entitled to and now I am happy to be a subbie I bet there are alot who are not.

once you understand the system a little and claim expenses on the rebate it can be ok , people with companys might have job security , but **** that , theres always another job out there , self employments ok but i still resent having to use a composite/umbrella company , if ure self employed then all monies should be paid directly to you

It seems that a lot of paye firms are now trying to revert back to the subby days,we were offerd the chance last year by our lot,they offered us a fiver a day and a weeks holiday at xmas,out of about 40 men no one took them up on it,but any new scaffs or labourors coming on have to go s/e.
I can see the firms point of view,if they're not having to pay out on holidays,n.i,ppe and firms vans they can compete better pricing wise with a lot less overheads.
I reckon moneywise theres not a lot in it,if your a subby you get more in your pocket each week because your not paying £70+ stamp,you get a decentish rebate each year,im told about 1500 on average,so it proberbly covers losing your holiday pay,about £3500 -tax and n.i at the moment.

firm i worked for when i first got back kept on fukin lads off for a day ,didnt know why until one of the blokes said if they employ you for 90 days or more your entitled to benefits ie holiday sick etc,

so to get round this they fuk u off and re-employ you again,,,,,if thats not up their with the bankers etc for fraud i dont know what is :mad:

Scaffbhoy, Im A Subbie Always Remember When Your Not Working Your Not Earning, Also Theres No Sick Pay Or Holiday Pay,You Also Have To Pay For Everything Yourself, Public Liability Insurance, Diesel And Then You Start Thinking About Making Money, A Wage Maybe But Profits Are Slight.

Was self employed for ages going company to company. Good learning curve but money wise it's no that great unless you're jammy and land a really well paying one, which normally means big expense getting there too :(

I am obviously behind the times with this one especially the advent of all these umbrella companies forming, but I always thought with the abolition of the old 714 and sc60 you were no longer allowed to work as self employed unless it was bona fide.

I get there are benefits for both but for me books in.

Scaffbhoy, Im A Subbie Always Remember When Your Not Working Your Not Earning, Also Theres No Sick Pay Or Holiday Pay,You Also Have To Pay For Everything Yourself, Public Liability Insurance, Diesel And Then You Start Thinking About Making Money, A Wage Maybe But Profits Are Slight.

Know what your saying gerscaff,a fair few of the firms around here seem to be paying subbies a week or 2 holidays,which is no bad as they are on a better day rate too.
Saying that,the ones that work under these umbrella companies get fec all.
Gotta say i'm getting a wee bit tempted at going back subbying,as long as the package is sound.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Was self employed for ages going company to company. Good learning curve but money wise it's no that great unless you're jammy and land a really well paying one, which normally means big expense getting there too :(

I see that oxford spires were advertising a couple of weeks back,pretty decent rates,about 140 for p2s and 160 advanced,subbying for first 3 months,van supplied too.
Any idea what their like to work for?

Iv just started going self employed about 3 months ago, any ideas on what i can claim back for? Help would be greatly appreciated lads cheers

You can claim for anything you need in your daily work, travel, digs and tools or whatever else you need to spend to earn your crust. Speak to who ever you use for an accountant who will tell you how they expect to see any claim you put in front of them.

are ebay receipts of payment accepted aom,lost hard copies but spanners etc are all bought online :unsure:

I've always done better as a subbie than PAYE. But the guaranteed wage and holiday pay is nice too.

Couldnt Agree More Swifty, I Enjoy The Freedom And Less Grief From Supervisors Etc, Theres The Job Theres The Price Give Me A Phone When Its Done, Suits Me Chaps.

are ebay receipts of payment accepted aom,lost hard copies but spanners etc are all bought online :unsure:

Credit card receipts?

I think you can still claim but the more proof the better. My Mrs is always getting on to me for receipts, she gets most but it still goes down against expenses. Credit card or bank statements would prove an expense but not for what exactly and you need to be prepared to answer any awkward questions.

I think it's best to speak to one now who will give you a definitive answer to what you can and cannot claim for, also how they would expect to see how you kept your records.

You can claim for anything you need in your daily work, travel, digs and tools or whatever else you need to spend to earn your crust. Speak to who ever you use for an accountant who will tell you how they expect to see any claim you put in front of them.

your accountant will not nessercerily tell you what you can claim (unless you get a really good one!)for in my experience you always have to lay it to them

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Here is a checklist
tools and ppe
office
laundry
substanance food during the day
travel either milage log or reciepts parking reciepts
phone internet
car wash
new kit clothes for work computer
office equipment
insurances, life insurance work related, public liability

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

bank account charges
umbrella company charges

You must have met a really bad one Steve. I have yet to meet one who wouldn't tell you, why wouldn't they?

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I'm sure a decent accountant could expand that list and also explain a bit better as to why only certain types of these activities would be applicable.

i did meet two really bad ones my thoery to why they wont tell you is its less work for there fixed fee.
if he can expand the list i need a new accountant lol

Top Bottom