Sub Contracting

simian

Reaction score
Supreme Court rules that subcontractors can be employees

Employment Law & HR update 02/09/2011

The highest court in the land – the Supreme Court – has ruled that subcontractors can be employees of the business that hires them, even if they have a written contract which expressly states that they are not employees. The ruling will be of great interest to businesses that choose, for a variety of reasons, to keep their workforce "off the books" by treating them as independent subcontractors rather than as employees.

Why is the ruling significant?

Because this is a ruling of the Supreme Court, it is effectively the "final say" on the matter. All lower courts, which include employment tribunals, must follow the same reasoning in cases that come before them.

What was the case about?

The case concerned car valeters who acted as subcontractors to a car valeting company – Autoclenz – which prepared cars for auction.

The subcontractors claimed holiday pay under the Working Time Regulations and to be paid the National Minimum Wage, both of which do not apply to subcontractors who are genuinely self-employed, but which do apply to employees and other "workers".

"Subcontractor"; "worker"; "employee" – what's the difference?

The difference between "subcontractors", "workers" and "employees" is important because they each enjoy different employment rights. An employee enjoys full employment rights, in particular the right not to be unfairly dismissed, subject in most cases to one year's service, as well as the right to paid holidays and to be paid at least the national minimum wage.

A "worker", which may include some agency workers and labour-only subcontractors in industries such as construction, has the right to paid holidays and the national minimum wage, but not to claim unfair dismissal.

A true subcontractor, on the other hand, is in business on his or her own account and does not enjoy any of these rights.

What does the ruling mean for my business?

The ruling has no impact on ordinary subcontract arrangements that businesses may have from time to time with other businesses or with genuine self-employed people.

However, the ruling is very important for businesses which use a business model similar to Autoclenz. This will include cases where subcontractors are kept "off the books" by having a contractual arrangement with the business which uses their services, but where, in reality, they work for that business on a regular basis.

My business uses a team of self-employed subcontractors - what can I do to protect my business?

The Supreme Court ruling makes it virtually impossible to construct a written contract with a subcontractor that is absolutely watertight against future claims by the subcontractor for rights including the national minimum wage and holiday pay.

It is clear that, if such a contract is challenged in court by the subcontractor, the court will look at the reality of the situation and what actually goes on in practice, as well as the written wording of the contract.

Clearly, the likelihood of a subcontractor bringing a claim for employment or "worker" rights will depend upon the relationship a business has with the subcontractor, and factors such as the earnings a subcontractor makes.

There are also two important factors that courts will take into account in determining a person's employment status.

The first is whether the subcontractor has an obligation to perform the work personally, or whether he or she can delegate it to another person. Regardless of what the contract says, if the practice is that the subcontractor does not delegate the work, then this points to a "worker" contract, or even to an "employee" contract.

The second factor is whether the subcontractor has, in practice, any freedom to refuse work that may be offered at any time – again, the courts will look at the reality of the situation, even where there is a specific clause in the contract allowing the subcontractor to refuse any work offered.

This will put the cat amongst the pigeons on so many levels. As if being an employer today was not tough enough, now we need a judge to tell us who is employed and who is not employed.

What will be the ramifications for Bettertax and the tax man, is the system now dead and buried for direct employed status?

It would be nice to have the view of better tax and Morgan law

I'm glad you think so I thought maybe I was reading too much in to it.

Mon Rosie, put us in the picture.

As far as I can see nothing has changed :wondering:,

this is already the 'law' as I understand it and was further clarified with the introduction of IR35 in 2000... but the article itself is indicative of the current style of 'reporting' today (by which I mean 'excitable')...

Morevoer I would take issue with this statement
"The Supreme Court ruling makes it virtually impossible to construct a written contract with a subcontractor that is absolutely watertight against future claims by the subcontractor for rights including the national minimum wage and holiday pay."

Frankly all the clues and the real meat and 'de-coding' of the matter lay in the sum of the text that follows that questionable statement.

The courts always look at both the contract and the working relationship of the parties involved and it will become clear if the situation is one or 'tother fairly quickly...

For clarity, information is available for all to view on the HMRC site under 'Employment Status' which should be accompanied by also studying the ramifications of 'IR35' (Wikipedia has a more palatable[although I'm not sure that word should ever be used in connection with HMRC] explanation BTW).

Happy reading :eek:
Best regards,
roger

Well, you're no Rosie but thanks for that Roger.:bigsmile:

So what happened when they got rid of the old 714? I thought the idea behind that was to phase out the so called self employed who were with the same company for years and put every one on the books. Now it's all umbrella companies or whatever and thicko's like me are struggling to keep up as to what we are and aren't allowed to do.

:bigsmile: ... I've read your posts mate and you ain't no "thicko" AOM.

If you take a look at the wikipedia entry for IR35, it'll give you some of the ups and downs. But don't for a minute think this is about 'being fair for the worker' IMHO - in a nutshell HMRC felt it was being 'diddled' out of tax and wanted to create a system of rules that would be more 'inclusive' (shall we say) in terms of employee status.
However, when a contractor wins business that will last 2 months & will require him/her to engage 15 skilled scaffs, he/she has to have the ability to dis-engage them also - when the work is complete... ergo sub-contractor, this you can map out across many areas and industries. If however the contractor was not able to do this then surely this whole sector of the economy would grind to shrieking halt, and even HMRC can't want that can they?:blink1:

Regards,
roger

Interesting Roger, seems maybe I am a wee bit naive in my take on the tax man.

So what about the guy's working long term e.g 1 year plus, surely they have to be books in?

Hi andyf8686,
I'm not sure if that was a question in general or if it was asked of me, however if it was for me then I'm sorry but I'm way too ill-informed to reply, it's not my area of experience and involves too many factors I imagine to give a difinative answer anyway.

Hi AOM, I think we'd both agree it would be that would be PAYE, but I think the scaff arena on the whole finds itself almost exclusively within the PAYE space as frankly just getting Scaff insurance as a single sub-concracting professional is ludicrously prohibitive :sad:

Right guys, well on that bombshell I'm now leaving the embracing warmth and busom of my office and heading home to see what 'she who must be obeyed' has decided is her lasted decree or resolution... :wondering:give me strength

Cheers Bettertax was just a thought not a question mate.

Still in the office ? long walk down the stairs LOL dont forget to wash the dish if she has cooked HAHA

Top Bottom