Storing boards

big john

Reaction score
Ive never really gave a f,uck about the way boards are stored until now I have my own boards to store.
I store my boards in piles of 40 stacked on top of each other but have noticed that water gets trapped in the piles and they start to smell and get mouldy,
I haven't really got enough room to build a roof to store my boards under,I can't be arsed with using tarps and sheeting so I've built a rack to stand them all uprite in hoping the water will run off of them,
Does anyone else store there boards like this?
Thanks for any help
John

John
board storage is all about air movement. You need to put laths between the boards to create air voides thus allowing them to dry

I reckon we have over 3000 boards stored at the moment. Around half are inside and the ones outside are in and out all the time so don't really get time to go mouldy. I have seen the lathes thing but to be honest would be a nightmare for us as we just stack them in 50's.

50 high then skid em,if boards are in regular use.
If Ya've got em stored for any length of time I think it'd be worth Ya while bein arsed wi tarps/sheets etc

10 high 5 wide banded then skidded with 4 foot omega boards, plenty.

5 wide 10 high then skidded with stoppend boards, winter time right alon the back wall about 60 wide and how ever high the go b4 some 1 uses 13ft as a skid lol some times its only 5 some times its 30 lol but some new yan have been stores since purchase last year 300 and there all moldy mangaed to save some and they were skidded every board with roofers lats to air, presonaly every 10 high 5 wide is best as the lat every board takes for ever an no goo to be folked on to the 18 toner

Gotta keep them boards in tip top condition. storing them in damp and wet enviroment rots them away in no time.

I have 47,000 on the floor at the moment stacked in banded bundles of 5 wide by 20 high by 5 bundles high with skids between. We dont get a lot of rain here but the humidity is a nightmare.
Un-dried boards that are covered with tarps or plastic sweat like it is raining and the moisture has no where to go.
Air Circulation!

Ive never really gave a f,uck about the way boards are stored until now I have my own boards to store.
I store my boards in piles of 40 stacked on top of each other but have noticed that water gets trapped in the piles and they start to smell and get mouldy,
I haven't really got enough room to build a roof to store my boards under,I can't be arsed with using tarps and sheeting so I've built a rack to stand them all uprite in hoping the water will run off of them,
Does anyone else store there boards like this?
Thanks for any help
John

Jockey will be up to sort them for you John. You'll have to pay him with haggis. He's getting homesick.

Best place to store then is on the scaffold. Get them out their on hire

aom, have you s.h.i.t your pants or something what the feck is skidded?????????

haha, very good. Don't know what else you soft southerners would call it. Inserted a spacer of suitable dimension and characteristics using known design principles to form a gap and to support the subsequent load should you wish to stack them multiple times and allow forks or slinging operations to take place in the event of someone requiring them moved.:cool:

I have 47,000 on the floor at the moment stacked in banded bundles of 5 wide by 20 high by 5 bundles high with skids between. We dont get a lot of rain here but the humidity is a nightmare.
Un-dried boards that are covered with tarps or plastic sweat like it is raining and the moisture has no where to go.
Air Circulation!

Back to the age old question Alan, are they better stacked inside or out?:amuse:

haha, very good. Don't know what else you soft southerners would call it. Inserted a spacer of suitable dimension and characteristics using known design principles to form a gap and to support the subsequent load should you wish to stack them multiple times and allow forks or slinging operations to take place in the event of someone requiring them moved.:cool:

Back to the age old question Alan, are they better stacked inside or out?:amuse:

Mine are out doors but in 50 deg heat with 90% humidity.
In the UK if cost not a problem and available I would store in an open sided covered shed

Top Bottom