starting up

hotdog

Reaction score
hiya people am new to the site, I have been thinking about starting up on my own, there are no scaffold firms where I live so was wanting some advice on creating a business plan, government grants? etc. I have a little bit of gear but would need more plus a pick up so any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

welcome to the forum hotdog. Always remember the biggest asset to your buisness will be a trustworthy workforce.

Hello mate all I can say to you is good luck with this economy the way that it is your first port of call for any business is cash flow if you don't have it you will have to borrow it business grants are very rare but are available for training,
step 1 reckey the area for competition see what your up against
step 2 before anything you must have your insurance in place make sure all cover is taken out
step 3 secure yard
step 4 you will need an operators licence even if its only a tranny van this is a must now
step 5 sell your company ie advertising yell.com local rag business cards in cafes an shop windows
step 6 sell your business don't fall for others selling theirs to you don't be taken in with any sales at all
step 7 make sure your quote covers all the they have asked for they will try to sneak in additional extras just remember if its not on your quote don't do it
step 8 state your payment requirements its your business don't let them dictate how they are going to pay you if your quote says 7 days 14 28 or 30 days end of month its in writing.
step 9 prepare to give it all you have got because the business will need it
If you have any queries in how to price up just drop me a thread I will help you as much as I can thanks and all the best for the future scc

Welcome to the game, personally ive got a lot of time for anyone with the gonads to start up...it can be quite daunting but remember dont run b4 u can walk & when eventually u start to make money,dont 4get where u came from & where u wanna go . Dont be afraid to make mistakes but learn from them.
Theres a lot of experianced guys on here that can help you with things u need to know but its a hard transition so good luck

Hello mate all I can say to you is good luck with this economy the way that it is your first port of call for any business is cash flow if you don't have it you will have to borrow it business grants are very rare but are available for training,
step 1 reckey the area for competition see what your up against
step 2 before anything you must have your insurance in place make sure all cover is taken out
step 3 secure yard
step 4 you will need an operators licence even if its only a tranny van this is a must now
step 5 sell your company ie advertising yell.com local rag business cards in cafes an shop windows
step 6 sell your business don't fall for others selling theirs to you don't be taken in with any sales at all
step 7 make sure your quote covers all the they have asked for they will try to sneak in additional extras just remember if its not on your quote don't do it
step 8 state your payment requirements its your business don't let them dictate how they are going to pay you if your quote says 7 days 14 28 or 30 days end of month its in writing.
step 9 prepare to give it all you have got because the business will need it
If you have any queries in how to price up just drop me a thread I will help you as much as I can thanks and all the best for the future scc
I don't think you need a o licence for a transit ,but if you get court with out a o licence they will give you the opportunity to apply for one but you will need to prove you have you have got x amount of pounds in the bank per vehicle ie £8,000 some one may correct me on that figure

I don't think you need a o licence for a transit ,but if you get court with out a o licence they will give you the opportunity to apply for one but you will need to prove you have you have got x amount of pounds in the bank per vehicle ie £8,000 some one may correct me on that figure

Not 100% sure myself, but if your using a tranny and trailer I think you will need one.

I think you need a o licence with a transit with a trailer becouse the extra weight it goes beyond 3.5ton

from Berwick upon tweed scaface

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

thanks for the info lads!

Right on all counts Gary boy. I know from bitter (lol) experience.

hiya people am new to the site, I have been thinking about starting up on my own, there are no scaffold firms where I live so was wanting some advice on creating a business plan, government grants? etc. I have a little bit of gear but would need more plus a pick up so any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

My advice,keep the job you have and build your business evenings and weekends until you have enough work on your books to jack,your weekly wages will pay for your yard,petrol/deisel etce,takes the sting out of owning your own company.

an operators licence is for anything over 3.5 ton, you need to prove over 3 months that you have 4500 in your bank for your first truck on a restricted licence and 2500 extra per truck after that to show you can service and repair your trucks.

Good luck on start up but like what has already been said you become the business 24/7, its a completely different lifestyle with different rewards, a lot more responsibility and a lot of problems to solve everyday.

Been a while but seem to remember
Letter of authority from land owner where vehicle is parked
Proof of contract of a maintance agreement
10k in the bank (as proof of funds for repairs & maintanance)
Advert run in local paper under intent to apply as an operators base.
Possibly expect a visit from vosa to check ur sites big enough to ron out of & youve got procedures in place for VOR & tacho rules

My advice,keep the job you have and build your business evenings and weekends until you have enough work on your books to jack,your weekly wages will pay for your yard,petrol/deisel etce,takes the sting out of owning your own company.
Defiantly take notice of what Yorkshire lee has to say he is dead right,plus while you are waiting for money to come in you are still getting wages.

Why not keep your job and do sideys at weekends for cash
No Hastles
No pressure thinking about getting enough work to keep you going
week after week
Month after month

I've been going 18 months now, constantly buying gear, constantly spending money
on the truck, van, yard, wages, safety gear etc
It's completely different way of life and it does take over your life, yet to see any money
in the bank but I don't expect to for about 5 years,
My one bit of advice would be don't take any **** from anyone when it comes to them paying up, if they haven't paid when they should of , get on there case, ring them, email them ,knock on there door etc,
Cheers
John

its £3600 per vehicle in your account for 3 months continuously, and you don't need an O licence for a vehicle with a gross weight of less than 3 tonns i.e. Merc sprinter, Iveco daily etc. If your credits good get a 0% interest credit card with 16 months to pay it back and buy you truck , gear etc with that. Get some decent software like CADS to do your estimates, its a big cost to start but you'll look professional and save time in the long run. Don't get bogged down on building sites ( they are inhabited by bricklayers w*nkers) and you'll need loads of kit. Go for quick turn around jobs like solar. Put you wife on the payroll as a director if she's not working ,she's entitled to earn 9k per year without paying any tax as are you. Remember not to buy a Range Rover sport in your first year and you should do ok.

Forgot to say, the lads on here are top boys, I couldn't of started up without there help
Cheers lads

Top Bottom