starting up question

chunkymonkey

Reaction score
Hello, excuse my full on approach for a newbie asking for help regarding setting up a new business this is more of a question for employers than employees but any info is more than appreciated...

I have recently been offered a contract for an on going company in west yorkshire through a family friend providing constant work for approx 7 builds per day. I have had one lad approach me with his part 1 certificate who said that he could help me get started, but although he seems genuine My aim is to do it correct from the word go by asking people with experience

The houses are not building sites just regular properties and wondered what insurances business limited liability etc and who you could recommmend for them ? Also what would be the minimum qualifications you would recommend to get a team of 3 started, I myself are more than willing to start from the labourers position as funding is minimal to start with and work my way up so to speak and can afford training and certs etc

I know this may seem blinkered but in a way it is and any info would be more than gratefull especially contacts for hiring both vehicles and equipment training in the bradford area and insurances required to set up for both me and to cover any future employees as the work is their

Hello And Welcome To The Forum Chunky, Not Being Cheeky Mate But, Are You A Scaffolder?

Another good example of WHO you know and not WHAT you know.Good luck in your new venture my friend have got a feeling your gonna need it.

As a bare minimum to erect 7 houses a day you'll need an 18tonner,a couple of advance lads who know what their doing and can graft,one of whom will have experience at organiseing everyone and everything else,a couple of part 2's and a couple of competent labourers,and not to many miles between jobs,and thats before the stripping gang are needed,good luck;)

oh and welcome to the forum

although you are in the right place to ask these type of question - i very much doubt if they will help you as much as you may think
the main advise i'd give anyone starting in a buisiness is to stick with what they know, and by the sound of it my friend you know very little about our industry....without wishing to apear rude and unhelpfull i would strongly recomend that you leave scaffolding contracts to scaffolders and find another path in something that you know plenty about,
this trade and industry is not something you are going to pick up off the internet or books and then run a successfull company off the promise of a bit of work - your intial outlay and costings will run into tens of thousands of pounds just to set up and will keep rolling as you progress, if it was that simple evey guy that has ever picked up a scaffold spanner would start their own company

Before you rush into this venture [a job you know nothing about] have you thought how you are going to fund it and what are the payment terms being banded about by the main player, its all well and good getting offered all this work but as Bigfish rightly pointed out you need scaffolders of all categories, transport and materials, and if you are getting paid say every 60 days have you got the readies to cover everything till your first pay day

Welcome to the forum Chunky. There are plenty of non scaffs running the show but none that I know off who not only know very little about our trade but lacks the basic business acumen to survive more than 5 minutes. My advice would be to widen your experience base further before thinking off jumping in feet first to a fairly high risk activity.

Cheers lads youve been very helpful just goes to show i didnt realise how much it would involve will have to do alot more research rather than jump in feet first cheers once again

Top Bottom