Starting a Scaffolding company from scratch

Wigman

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am new to the forum, could you please advise on the legal, safety requirements of starting a new scaffolding company?

Welcome to the forum Wigman.
My advise is good luck. I have been scaffolding for more then 30 years and I am still learning.....

£30,000 - for equipment and advertising.
An Operators Licence.
A reliable Lorry.
A decent Yard with good and trustworthy Security.
A good additional pair of hands to help you put the jobs up.
An understanding wife.
An understanding mistress... ;)
A few friends who can give you a small and steady amount of work to get you rolling, like a little Roofer or Bricky.

and ofcourse: Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of LUCK.

Welcome and good luck. :)

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your new venture in this present climate your going to need it

Hello guys, I am new to the forum, could you please advise on the legal, safety requirements of starting a new scaffolding company?

Welcome to the forum Wigman. You may have to tell us a bit about yourself, e.g scaffold experience before you find much relevant but to start a scaffold company is not much different to any other it's only when you get to the operating stage your experience will really be required.

Legally, you will obviously have to register for tax, depending on what size you are will dictate what form this will take but fortunately we do have our own accountants Bettertax who can be PM'd for a better explanation. I would also suggest forming a Ltd regardless of size which has it's down side especially with the tax burden but the benefits will grow with your company. Register with companies house which is fairly straight forward. Insurance can be a nightmare but again there are a couple of brokers on here and will answer any questions but as with all these things, it's a big world and a big market place so shop around as it's a big drain on any resources you may have. Safety as you know is paramount and your attitude to it will no doubt shape the firm you eventually become so make sure you are up to date with all the current legislation or have someone on board who is. Your insurance company will want to know what you do to minimise risk and will check you are doing what you say you are doing for the first couple of years anyway so no mistakes on that front. The NASC produce reams of paper work and guidance for scaffolders so have a look on their web site and maybe invest some cash in buying a couple of copies of the things you are less sure off, other than that it's a breeze. Good Luck.

Wigman
Youll soon be thinking or hoping that theres 25 hours a day and wishing theres 8 days a week
1 ,Try to be reliable to all of your customers they are always right!!
2 , Never let (customers) them down,
Most of all never rip the lads off,youl always need them at some other point when your trying to manage 1 & 2

Top Bottom