Start Up company (contract advice)

manly7385

Reaction score
hi lads

im thinking of starting up a scaffolding firm but only labour only to start off with.

i dont really know how to go about it, ie, gaining a contract, reason being that in glasgow companys are only seeking scaffolders from recruitment agencys and not taking on through the books i know lots of scaffs and i am one myself and i just feel that we all deserve a chance of full tim employment and if this means i have to go it alone then i will.

i would just like advice on getting contracts or work and any valuable information on starting up what i need and what needs to be done.

once i have earned enough i will start to buy tube and things bit by bit but labour is the first step.

any help would be great.

cheers

Scott :D:D:D

Basically Manly you will have to put yourself around the scaffold firms and convince them that you can provide better and more reliable labour than they already have . Dog eat dog world plus you will have to get insurance as it is doubtful a company would insure your labour . You could start pricing jobs and hire materials but this also has it`s pitfalls .I wish you all the best mate but remember to succeed you have to stand on some very delicate toes .

Thanks robbo the only toes i want to step on is they agencies they burst my nut the money they earn for the graft we do, the insurance seems a bit pricey i got a qutoe earlier and it was ridiculously high but things like that im not to clued up on lol ill get there but i know it will take time really appreciate the post robbo thanks mate

Thanks robbo the only toes i want to step on is they agencies they burst my nut the money they earn for the graft we do, the insurance seems a bit pricey i got a qutoe earlier and it was ridiculously high but things like that im not to clued up on lol ill get there but i know it will take time really appreciate the post robbo thanks mate

With things like el/pl insurance you will need to take the time to ring round brokers throughout the country. Also try to figure out a realistic turnover you will produce in the first year trading, if your t/o is low then so is your risk. It's a hard road but with determination you will make it work.

Hi Scott,

I have posted a few times that sometimes I kinda wish I went down the labour only route rather than full contracting but too late for me now. Even at the labour only I think you will not have your sorrows to seek but if you do manage to get a foot in the door and grow how you imagine it could have great potential.

I personally would stay clear of the scaff companies as they will treat you with suspicion to start with anyway until it becomes clear what kind of animal you are actually going to be. Where I do see a bit of an opportunity is with the smaller builders who in their wisdom have bought some system thinking anyone can put it up only to discover local authorities are demanding carded men and are then turning to agencies.

I'm not sure how big you are at the moment or how ambitious you want to be but I reckon that would be a lucrative first step.

The best of luck, let us know how you go.

Cheers aom funny you mention small builders i am working at the moment through an agency with a small roofing firm and they have bought loads of stuff for roof edge protection and no clue how to use it hence why im there, think your right im going to have to start small and bully my way through i feel the agencys im working for are the ones i will undercut they charge far to much and we all make money, time to cut out the middleman, best thing i feel is to get my name out there and see how i go but defo keep you posted mate

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Cheers binthere

No bother, I thought that. Stick very much to what you know to start with, very best of luck.

good luck with that m8 , who knows you might wipe out those pesky agencys one by one .

Last edited:
you would be suprised at how little the agencies are making out of our graft,my pal works for one and i was shocked when he told me the rates.
i had always thought they were making fortunes myself.
best of luck tho my only worry would be getting payed,as i wouldnt like to have to feck the lads off because ive been screwed

dont make any excuses for them or sympathise , theyve cut each others throats to get the work.

remember , they aint payin any employers ni contributions and these ***** are double wide at makin money from our money , the fact their in tow with the umbrella mobs , makes them money and saves them money

plus the fact these ***** start acting like fuckin demi-gods knowing there in control of who works and who doesnt

i wasnt making excuses just stating facts,so manly knows what to go in against.
the game in glesga was fecked when guys were all casual for a pittence while so called SCAFFOLDERS raped them and never got them any cards etc.
I would also bring in the PROSPECTS etc into this as they were everywere when the boom was on and kept the cash down

Top Bottom