stagger

Dannychristie

Reaction score
Had an argument regarding my staggers. I was told to stagger my handrails in accordance with my ledgers. Surely if my joints are correctly positioned and staggered in two metre lifts then intermediate handrails/tubes are irrelevant yes/no

I didnt think that handrails where structural to the scaffold so it shouldnt make any difference where the joints on the handrails are.

Soon you'll have to build every scaffold at 1.2 centres just to got all the staggers in

Had an argument regarding my staggers. I was told to stagger my handrails in accordance with my ledgers. Surely if my joints are correctly positioned and staggered in two metre lifts then intermediate handrails/tubes are irrelevant yes/no

Handrails do not need to be staggered, unless stated in a drawing.

I would like to know who instructed you to stagger them, as they know feck all about scaffolding structures

exactly what I was thinking Rigger. "Hear Hear"

another pr!ck thats been on a two day course tell him to do one our firm are really stricked with the staggering and we never bother with the handrails

We got told the same thing, but when we asked why, we were told our safety officer (ex hse) doesn't like hrail joints in same bay as ledger joints.
We said we don't like gettin paid less than a grand a week but hey ho **** happens

If i got a lot of work of them then to stagger the handrail to keep the ars ehole happy would be no big deal , but if its a one of job i would ask him to show me where it says that in writing .

If i got a lot of work of them then to stagger the handrail to keep the ars ehole happy would be no big deal , but if its a one of job i would ask him to show me where it says that in writing .

If it keeps them sweet its worth doing for less earache!:noworry:

you can use your hand rails as part of you stagger. the easiest way to do this is keep you top hand rail joint in the same bay as the ledger below then at an instant you can see were the ledger above will need to be staggerd to match bottom hand rail

I think it's a case of if they want it that way and means more work then fine, but it's not wrong to not stagger the hrail.
Never heard of a job compromised because of this

Stick a 21 for the back ledger an 8 foot front ledger then reverse it for intermediate handrail or bottom handrail for boarded lift then back to 21 at back ledger and 8 front, keep this all the way up and nothing will be in the same bay everything staggered, it ain't rocket science, your not looking at the lift below to see where the sleeve is then, and remember no sleeve more than a 1/3 into the bay, but looking at most jobs in the streets of Cambridge they haven't a clue on staggering ledgers or standards.:confused:

Stick a 21 for the back ledger an 8 foot front ledger then reverse it for intermediate handrail or bottom handrail for boarded lift then back to 21 at back ledger and 8 front, keep this all the way up and nothing will be in the same bay everything staggered, it ain't rocket science, your not looking at the lift below to see where the sleeve is then, and remember no sleeve more than a 1/3 into the bay, but looking at most jobs in the streets of Cambridge they haven't a clue on staggering ledgers or standards.:confused:

I think that applies to most UK cities not just Cambridge T.

On the whole, I am a great believer in if the client wants it, and is willing to pay for it, just give it to him. This on the other hand comes under the heading of another erse who knows feck all but worse of all he doesn't know it. Challenge these guys, ask them to justify their belief and have at hand the correct information to blow the fick head out the water.

Top Bottom