Stacking tube on the lift

dangeruss

Reaction score
Does anybody have any literature or regs on the safe way to stack tube along the lift. i.e. tube laid along the length of an un boarded lift ?

I know the best option is to remove it , but if that's not possible is there a recognised to stack it ?

we used to use common sence,but don't know now what hse recommend.
We'd all like the common sense approach, unfortunately where we work unless there is a bit of paper or a regulation to refer to common sense isn't applicable. What I need is some kind of document showing the Best practice recommendation.

From a health and safety view you shouldn't be leaving any materials that could be dislodged that may then have the potential to cause injury. Also take into consideration point loading and extra weight on the scaffold.

Does anybody have any literature or regs on the safe way to stack tube along the lift. i.e. tube laid along the length of an un boarded lift ?

I know the best option is to remove it , but if that's not possible is there a recognised to stack it ?

Not sure you will get away with stacking on any lift let alone an Unboarded one, are you dismantling and trying to load out on the lifts below.

From a health and safety view you shouldn't be leaving any materials that could be dislodged that may then have the potential to cause injury. Also take into consideration point loading and extra weight on the scaffold.
I see what you're saying but we are talking 7 tubes 13ft long ( no fittings or short tubes)stacked on the first lift of a 3 lift 13ft tower and clipped to stop them moving.

The tubes have to be walked into the plant up a flight of stairs ( about 100 yards) so its not practical to walk them out again at night if they haven't been used , as this is riskier than stacking them.

Fix them to the standards like extra handrails no need to stack.

I see what you're saying but we are talking 7 tubes 13ft long ( no fittings or short tubes)stacked on the first lift of a 3 lift 13ft tower and clipped to stop them moving.

The tubes have to be walked into the plant up a flight of stairs ( about 100 yards) so its not practical to walk them out again at night if they haven't been used , as this is riskier than stacking them.

Will they not give you a lay down area.

I don't think that you are ever going to get a guidance note on stacking gear as best practice is always going to be remove it. I take it its the client who is complaining, and if it is I suppose for all it is I would single it down individually, even though we all know it's a load of bull. I think we do at least one bit of window dressing every day, just the way the paymasters like it.

Top Bottom