square metre on linear metre

sorry me bein thick lol didn't explain the question right, whats bigger a linear metre or square metre. aint got a clue what linear metre is like?

Steve, I think there is a load of things like this that overly complicate an otherwise simple situation. I work with plenty daily who couldn't have answered that or other seemingly simple terminology questions like access and egress(on,off). There seems to be an ever increasing clamour to be seen to be using the most up to date buzz words of the day. Just the way the world is going and we will never beat them so we will have to join them I'm afraid.

Morning guys,
Linear meter, Square meter, Meter cube all relate to the same thing volume of scaffold to be paid for.

None of it is over complicated and none of it is new these three units of measurement were used in scaffolding long before I joined the industry.

Linear meter refers to the length of a completed lift of scaffold with boards:
Example: a 30m long by 5 lift access would be 30linear m times 5 lifts = 150 linear meters

Square meters refers to the 2 dimensions on an elevation Height x Width
Example: a 30m long by 10m high scaffold (same scaffold as above) would be 30 x 10 = 300Sq meter

Cubic meters, more commonly used in measurement of birdcages = Length x Width x Height.
I have seen this method used in the measurement of Independent’s although I am not sure why.
(An independent is in most cases a standard width to an individual scaffold company and as such the third dimension becomes redundant when valuing a scaffold)

When it comes to applying a price to the scaffold the rates should bring you to the same answer:

10m linear x 2 lifts of completed lift = 20 meter @ ₤15 per meter = ₤300
the equivalent price based on Sq m should = ₤300 / 10meter length / 4 m height= ₤7.5/mSq
and the equivalent Cubic meter rate for a 1.5 wide (5+1 Bd) scaffold would be
₤300 / 10 / 4 / 1.5 = ₤5 per cubic meter

Hence
Linear 10m x 2 lifts x ₤15 = ₤300
Sq m 10m x 2 lifts (4m) x ₤7.5 = ₤300
Cubic m 10m x 2 lifts (4m) x 1.5m) x ₤5 = ₤300

Hope this is of help
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

In the old days used to work in m2 now prefer to work in metre run

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

In the old days used to work in m2 now prefer to work in metre run

Top Bottom