Sonny Holland's accident that shouldn't have happened

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Sonny Holland's accident that shouldn't have happened

By Nick Sommerlad on June 15, 2011 11:00 PM in Safety

The relentless casualisation of British jobs costs lives - as a coroner's court heard this week.

Self-employed scaffolder Sonny Holland, 20, died doing one of Britain's most dangerous jobs without training, a safety harness or guardrail.

He fell 20ft through a hole as he was dragging a ladder beam backwards to pass to workmates. He died the next day in hospital from multiple head injuries.

Three of the four workers on the Andrew Geer Scaffolding Ltd site were trainees but Sonny wasn't registered on the industry training scheme.

Despite a catalogue of failings, coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe told the jury at Westminster Coroner's Court the only verdict it could return was one of accidental death.

She summed up: "The Health and Safety Executive expert and inspector identified failures in the following of design, implementation of guard
rails and harness clip on points, the presence of an unguarded hole, the qualifications of the workforce, the lack of training in health and safety matters and the lack of supervision and adequate risk assessment and method statement."

Sonny's boss, cage fight promoter Andrew Geer, who has since liquidated the company, was in court where Dr Radcliffe asked him: "Would you accept there was a breakdown between the different people involved in the company and managerial structure as to responsibilities and where they lay?"

Mr Geer replied: "Personally I think that with the amount of time that has lapsed memories are becoming jaded. I'm 100 per cent certain that at the time of the incident the correct measures were in place."

George Guy, Acting General Secretary of construction union UCATT, said: "This tragic case demonstrates the absurdities of false self-employment.

"How on earth could anyone legitimately be a self-employed apprentice scaffolder."

The HSE's investigation into the case is continuing.

Mr Geer replied: \"Personally I think that with the amount of time that has lapsed memories are becoming jaded. I\'m 100 per cent certain that at the time of the incident the correct measures were in place.\"

Three trainees and one Scaffolder , No risk assessment or Method statement , no harness or hand rails .

The owner sounds like the sort of guy who gets in , get the job up as fast as you can so i can get paid .

Prison sentence would suit this owner , life for a life .

Upside down is bad enough,but your your back to front as well.

So what was the final outcome?? Courts shouldve hammered this chancer boss

I very much doubt anyone will get away with anything after a fatal accident Zoetsy, the investigation is continuing.

Oh that's good then.
How was the lad even on site ?
I couldn't even get on with a small ish street firm until I have an up to date CISRS card.
Suppose it's the difference between firms that play by the rules and ones that do not.

Very true, we all moan about having to keep paying for new cards, training and other seemingly daft safety initiatives, then you read that and it reminds you of the thought behind it all. We are a small street firm and have a 100% carded workforce and plan to keep it that way.

with all due respect lads i dont think that a card would have helped him, its down to the scaffolders who had this young fella dragging a ladder beam 20 foot up with no hand rail even the best can have a accident with a ladder beam never mind a young inexperienced lad and the fact that there where 3 trainees probably ment that the scaffolder was pushing these lads beyond their capability's ALL the time and it was only a matter of time be a serious accident happened , seen loads of this stuff going on in the 80s with the YTS scheme .

May he rest in peace

It makes you realise how dangerous the industry is and bosses and charge hand scaffolders who dont make you were the correct safety equipment and training are as guilty for the death of this lad as each other.
Most scaffolders take risks because of pressure from there employers to get jobs up quicker as prices are so low they have small profit margins, this however is no excuse for what happened and a serious look at health and safety within this industry is needed!

You don't become a scaffolder, your born one!
Rip lad

Its With Much Sadness That I Have To Announce The Untimely Death Of George Carr,A Scaffolder Of Some 45 Years Experience, Who Was Killed In A Tragic Accident,Whilst I Never Worked With George His Reputation As Both Scaffolder And Man Humbled Most.My Thoughts Go Out To His Family And To His Brother Tim(Another Gent) The Word Legend Is Thrown Around A Lot But George Carr Was A Scaffolding Great.

an Unlawful killing verdict should surely have prevailed in this case??? or is that up to the coroner to decide???? Sum bag boss man, hope he get's his what go's around comes around

RIP..

Last edited:
Upside down is bad enough,but your your back to front as well.

All that's missing is the inside out bit .

.........................................................................................................

Seriously now this post needs to be updated as soon as any news happens , any one got any info on the owner of the scaffold company when he owed it and is it still operating after it went to the wall ?

Its With Much Sadness That I Have To Announce The Untimely Death Of George Carr,A Scaffolder Of Some 45 Years Experience, Who Was Killed In A Tragic Accident,Whilst I Never Worked With George His Reputation As Both Scaffolder And Man Humbled Most.My Thoughts Go Out To His Family And To His Brother Tim(Another Gent) The Word Legend Is Thrown Around A Lot But George Carr Was A Scaffolding Great.

gerscaff, i used to work with tim, how did his brother die

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

gerscaff, i used to work with tim, how did his brother die

just read it on another thread, if george was as good on the spanner as tim then he must have been a star scaff as well as a gentlemen.

google andre greer brings up a fair bit

Believe Me Rumple ,The Scaffold Industry In Dundee Is Poorer Tonight,For The Loss Of A True Man Among Men. George And Tim Were Of That First Generation Of North Sea Scaffs,Guys Like Them,Doug Scrimegour,Terry Cord Brian Russell,Ronnie,Frankie,And Henry Dolan The List Is Endless,But As Well As Being Very Good Scaffolders They Were All Gents Who Could Teach You So Much By Just Being There.

the fact that the lad was self employed is a disgrace and one that i feel ruined the game,as its mr greers way out of supplying the proper safety gear,training etc.i feel that the sc60,714 **** started the rot in scaffolding were a guy makes fortunes by abusing young lads who are generally on the grip(cash in hand).
R.I.P. another loss to the game lets hope the cage fighter looks after his family

Top Bottom