Solar panel pricing.

Tony Mason

Reaction score
Evening chaps, whats the deal with solar panel work, ive been offered some work and there telling me the price. Its the same price for all jobs weather its on a house or bungalow. Is this the norm.

Thanks Tony.

in my experience mate yes,had a stint on the solar panels and the free insulation for british gas, it evened out over time some jobs needed beams others literally a handrail,totally depends on whoever is feeding you the contracts ,makes sure your method statements,generic drawings are up to date though as sometimes a jumped up private safety nazi will be on your case,especially if you start smashing them in.Also worth considering getting the fitters well onside as they can get you work all concentrated in the same area:Doh and even if you get a load of single lifters make sure the boys go out with the ladders,adolfs normally watching;)

Evening chaps, whats the deal with solar panel work, ive been offered some work and there telling me the price. Its the same price for all jobs weather its on a house or bungalow. Is this the norm.

Thanks Tony.

our gaffer seemd to think so and been nice littler earners up and down in a few days althow 1 companie did want the full shaband pic hand over tag and wanteded it yesterday and we were traveling 3-4 round trip to keep the local jobs for them isnt kadiver is it or sumet along thows lines

seems a bit strange tony ,but to be honest if they're gonna give u loads then more often then not its swings &roundabouts,but they're normally only up 2-3 days so a quick turnaround- ask em who normally does their work and give em a ring to find out about the solar company cos its not unusual to hear of the smaller ones being difficult to get money out of-within a month u could be down several thousand pounds if they decide to pack up and move on,so be vigilant

We work for 5 different solar companies and each one pays a set rate per unit, it makes their life so much easier when they price their jobs.

Ive not reached the dizzy heights of a comfy chair yet so mines purely a from the neck down point of view,have heard a lot of government grants and tax relief has been pulled from it though,maybe the arse is about to fall out of it?:huh:

Ive not reached the dizzy heights of a comfy chair yet so mines purely a from the neck down point of view,have heard a lot of government grants and tax relief has been pulled from it though,maybe the arse is about to fall out of it?:huh:

first of all there price per kw was about 47.7p pert kw for energy produced then they werre going to drop it after the 12th of december but there was that much of a back log that had already ither showed intrest of comitted to the pannels the were goging to pull out so they extended it untill feb i thin and in feb am not sure if the tarriff dropped from 47p to 23/24 p per kw which is massive if you think over 20 half the price coz you got it a week l8r than next door so night like you say drop right out but its pays more than any isa there all saying

Im just starting out and any work is better than no work. The solar work is just what im looking for, quick up and down and small jobs.

Is it G..... ? They will usually pay £300 a plot - quick turn around work tho

I tracked one set of gear we would have got £700 normal price inc 4 weeks hire turned same bit of gear on 7 jobs in one month all at £300 a piece

Whoever the work is for, all I would say is make sure your paperwork, handover certs, photos, invoices etc are done and sent in daily. Make sure you know what the payment terms are as well (30/45/60 days)

ya right scaffy but am sure it was £350 a plot but all at the same price might of only been £300 but this is all 2nd and 3rd hand info form the gaffers to the lads to me and normally tell you what ya want to know lol

Was £350 then they dropped em to £300 houses and £250 bungalows at that point i dropped out

Some may well be earning a descent living from these guys but personally have enough going on without having to take a risk on these guy's. Too many fly by nights hitting that game for a quick buck and leaving a trail of destruction behind them. Caw canny.

Be very careful with these feckers pal, i've been stung twice by solar panel tossers. One of them being a massive well established company that went into administration. Won't do anything for any of them now unless they pay before we drop the job.
Also agreed with a fixed price for the plots with a promise of streets and streets of terraced houses and ended up with all the detached properties, handrails on both gables, NIGHTMARE!! As you can imagine, didn't do many for that company!
Know where your coming from with the old 'work is work' but if your paying wages then getting foook all back then is it worth doing.

I would rather sit in the yard doing feck all as grafting for feck all. They won't all be bad but too high risk for such a small operator like me.

We were doing them for £500.00 per house earlier this year and then along came a firm from Sheffield who did them for half, needless to say they collared the market at those lunatic prices

Top Bottom