Smsts

S

steveo south east

hi i just thought i would let the people know my view on the course from a scaffs prepective. the course content was good learning about writing risk assessments method statments, law, who should be doing what, confined spaces, what is a confined space, methods for doing confined space work, health and safety what they can actually do apart from bust our balls site set up as a minimum what should be there, why is it there, plant rules, how plant should be storedneighbours and duties to them.
I could go on but wont.
Is it a good course for scaffolders? yes if you want to learn about the roles of managers, you will work out who is a good managers who is bad. No if you want to stay in scaffolding go up the chain part1part2advanced supervisor with the appropriate cisrs tickets

Will you learn from the course? yes because a lot of sites i have visited over the years have been poorly set up with no nessesary plans in place.yes you will learn.

I am happy i done the course yes i now have another fall back trade if i have a accident and cant physically scaffold. Alot lot of companies employ the wrong people to inspect scaffold and plan scaffold work on site as they dont bring logic and experience to the job. I hope long term i can get in with a good principal contractor to guide the way.

Fair enough points all well put, but to be honest I thought it was a load of crap and a total waste of time as any site I have ever been on runs nothing like they should.

That been said, I'm glad you enjoyed it and took something from it and as you say it will look better on your CV.

hi i just thought i would let the people know my view on the course from a scaffs prepective. the course content was good learning about writing risk assessments method statments, law, who should be doing what, confined spaces, what is a confined space, methods for doing confined space work, health and safety what they can actually do apart from bust our balls site set up as a minimum what should be there, why is it there, plant rules, how plant should be storedneighbours and duties to them. <br />
I could go on but wont.<br />
Is it a good course for scaffolders? yes if you want to learn about the roles of managers, you will work out who is a good managers who is bad. No if you want to stay in scaffolding go up the chain part1part2advanced supervisor with the appropriate cisrs tickets<br />
<br />
Will you learn from the course? yes because a lot of sites i have visited over the years have been poorly set up with no nessesary plans in place.yes you will learn.<br />
<br />
I am happy i done the course yes i now have another fall back trade if i have a accident and cant physically scaffold. Alot lot of companies employ the wrong people to inspect scaffold and plan scaffold work on site as they dont bring logic and experience to the job. I hope long term i can get in with a good principal contractor to guide the way.
Fall back on which trade exactly? As you've done the smsts do you now think you could be a site agent then?

To be honest I thought it was interesting but dealing with cdm regs etc on a daily basis is my idea of hell.

Where did you do the course?

yes as a site agent or site manager. i did it in leighton buzzard c+c training

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

discovered that impact wrench will be under fire from hs&e soon because they are quite high on the hand arm vibration scale. for example i know i can use my hilti 14.4v for a maximum of 3hr a day.But if i was to use there 22 volt i can only use that tool for 1 hr.

without complicating things there has been the odd occasion i have used 4/5 batteries a day so 1 battery is equal to 1 hr i have gone over the reccomemded daily allowance But here the other side my employer supplies it to me so in ten years time when i cant hold my cock i would wonder why.

after going through the hand arm vibration syndrone and how serious it is deemed by health and safety we looked at charts on how to work out all tools speed and length of time you can use them per day. the impact wrench was something i was curious about and looked it up first of all i found the heavy duty one then found mine and it it there in black and white.
The tool has a
Tri. vibr. val for impact tightening of fasteners of the max cap of tool (ah) which is measure at 7/5ms
then put that to hs&e hand arm vibration chart on there website and vwalaa 3hr safe play a day

It won't be a continuous 3 hours either I suppose? I have never bothered investigating that side of it as I have never used any sort of vibrating tool before for any length of time until now. I took for granted that manufacturing design would have phased most restrictions out of the picture by now but I may have to investigate this one further. I have to be honest and say though, they are hardly sore on the hands are they? I have seen many a painter using the old air needle guns and they could hardly move their hands after a shift but these things feel pretty cushioned to me.

Thanks for the tip Steve.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

I was just thinking about this for a minute and have come to the conclusion they can stick their rules right up their cooncil gritter. I would rather throw my belt in the big blue skip than give up my makita. I really couldn't give a fcuk what anyone else says or thinks.:cool:

Good post Steve mate.
Ill be doing my SSSTS myself, at some point this year.

Top Bottom