Site Work

R

ragscaff

Work on the same site for a long time.

Do other trades take the p*ss.

Starts off well but then you get too nice.

I think too much pressure is put on the scaffolder.

Sites want it right, firms want it cheep & other trades hit you in the middle.

How do you feel????????????

Stewart Quinney
SCCR
Chairman

I work on quite a few building sites...and it's always a case of sacrifice the quality for the quantity..the agents don't give a f@£k about saftey until sumat goes wrong...ur own firm won't stand upto the client for fear of losing the contract...a site ive been on recently is like going back in time...no hrails etc

Ragscaff any time I know I'm gonna be running a site longterm I just start as I mean to go on. Don't take any ****. Any jobs wanting doing go through project management, none of this crap where every tradesman wants a piece of you. If the site management can't organise the work don't do it for them.
When I first started running bigger jobs after inevitably becoming friendly with plenty of folk you get asked to do all sorts of "five minute jobs". Sometimes you don't mind but after a while it became obvious I was unintentionally being taken a loan of, so from then on if any trade wanted work done of ANY sort, they had to take it to site management and then they could instruct me and the lads. That way they get to see the extra workload you have and will either give you peace to get on with it, or phone your gaffer for more men because you have too much work and under pressure, although that's something you should be doing anyway.

I work on quite a few building sites...and it's always a case of sacrifice the quality for the quantity..the agents don't give a f@£k about saftey until sumat goes wrong...ur own firm won't stand upto the client for fear of losing the contract...a site ive been on recently is like going back in time...no hrails etc

10 out of 10 gmanscaff, not done many sights but this seems to be the norm when ive been on sights the only time safety seems to be 100% is on an industrial job probably why they charge the earth!!!

10 out of 10 gmanscaff, not done many sights but this seems to be the norm when ive been on sights the only time safety seems to be 100% is on an industrial job probably why they charge the earth!!!

The reason it ISN'T 100% on construction sites is because the prices are ***** and corners will be cut in order to meet targets. Been taken off site before for refusing to do something I felt wasn't safe. They brought a rough as feck subbie in instead who was only too happy to cut every corner going and leave a right rough unsafe job.

Agree Dico, Industrial is the best, better rates you get your gear back in the condition it went in, better organised, safety is recognised and paid for.

Ragscaff any time I know I'm gonna be running a site longterm I just start as I mean to go on. Don't take any ****. Any jobs wanting doing go through project management, none of this crap where every tradesman wants a piece of you. If the site management can't organise the work don't do it for them.
When I first started running bigger jobs after inevitably becoming friendly with plenty of folk you get asked to do all sorts of "five minute jobs". Sometimes you don't mind but after a while it became obvious I was unintentionally being taken a loan of, so from then on if any trade wanted work done of ANY sort, they had to take it to site management and then they could instruct me and the lads. That way they get to see the extra workload you have and will either give you peace to get on with it, or phone your gaffer for more men because you have too much work and under pressure, although that's something you should be doing anyway.

I have done this many a time, but for one reason or another you get moved to a different site short term & go back its ****. Then you try & get it back as it was. Nightmare!!!

New builds, site works has always been sh*t

The main problem is clients expect one scaffold to serve the needs of all the trades on site both internally and externally

They expect the scaffolders on site to be unpaid safety officers and put right any infringments at once ,including all handrails and ladder access removed or abused by other trades.All for no charge

Then there is always the pleasure of the final account when some snotty nosed Q.S. starts telling you what you priced for using technical terms such as poles and planks,and trying to get contary charges of £30,000 because you did not have men on site for three days last year(It was 6foot deep in snow more than likely)

New builds, site works has always been sh*t

The main problem is clients expect one scaffold to serve the needs of all the trades on site both internally and externally

They expect the scaffolders on site to be unpaid safety officers and put right any infringments at once ,including all handrails and ladder access removed or abused by other trades.All for no charge

Then there is always the pleasure of the final account when some snotty nosed Q.S. starts telling you what you priced for using technical terms such as poles and planks,and trying to get contary charges of £30,000 because you did not have men on site for three days last year(It was 6foot deep in snow more than likely)

Try doing this work off a step up in all the mud & Sh*t

Hard I know,but if you price this type of work you go in with your eyes open

it was bad enough 10 year ago before the arse dropped out of the prices, what its like these days I dread to think

it was bad enough 10 year ago before the arse dropped out of the prices, what its like these days I dread to think

The only thing is some firms do price for this & others don't. Then the others get it & don't use any AGR or step!!!

It's the reason I'm finally getting out of construction and into the industrial side. It just isn't worth the hassle anymore

i know where you are coming from ragscaff as a rule i will only do favours for the trades that have forklifts then its give andtake
if its a big job then i tell them i need 48hours notice gives you time to get more men on site it olso makes them plan a bit better if they know you whont jump on the shovel if they shout s-%t

Last edited:
Top Bottom