shear anchor testing

scaffler

Reaction score
Good evening fellas! i need to test some shear anchors, the firm have the hydrajaws and i was wondering can it be adapted for a shear test? If not what is the best way to test these anchors? Ta!:unsure:

Good question scaffler and to be honest with you I have absolutely no idea if there even is such a test. I will have to go and check out my guidance but I have just kinda assumed if it passed the pull out test you could then assume it would perform in shear as per manufacturers guidelines. However, I have been proved wrong many many times in the past.:embarrest:

i dont think anchors have a sheer test? its the components that work alongside, hooks, ring bolts, tubes, band and plates etc,
although just like aom i have been frequently known to talk sh1ite;)

Google the construction fixings association, get the number and they will give you the advice. Their top man wrote TG4

From what I believe shear testing may be possible but I think who ever made the tie you are using will be able to supply you with data regarding performance in shear. Unfortunately depending on what you are doing it may take some design input.

Good evening fellas! i need to test some shear anchors, the firm have the hydrajaws and i was wondering can it be adapted for a shear test? If not what is the best way to test these anchors? Ta!:unsure:

Shear testing on site is possible but generally impractical. For significant shear loads into materials other than concrete it’s best to refer to the manufacturer.

Loads may be applied to scaffold anchors in a variety of ways. Tension, compression, shear, bending. It’s always good practice to test the ties in compression even if a shear load is being employed.

Unless the SWL in shear needs to be mega-big, then I would just test in compression and have the data sheet for the bolts on file, alongside the test report.

Do you know any scaffold design engineers, they may be able to help

Not many anchor suppliers give safe shear capacity in anything except concrete of a known strength. The best way to test shear is to put two anchors in above the one you want to test and push off those. If the anchors form an upside down triangle, you can put a small beam across under the upper pair and possibly use the Hydrajaws upside down below the beam, pulling on the one you want to test.

Depending upon the arrangement of the shear tie, where it is, what type it is etc this may or may not work.

Is that understandable or am I talking in riddles?

Last edited:
my bet is if they want to know the shear the job should be put to design/engineer input as they never train you to test for shear on pull test course!

From what I can gather they don't do a lot better on the pull course.

Thanks for the feedback fellas! I think I'l give em the info I have on the individual components and if that's not good enough then I may need a designer!:wondering:

Let us know how it flies scaffler I would be interested to hear.

Top Bottom