Score Card, any help ?

Westie

Reaction score
Alright guys i have been having issue's with this for a few years now and just wondering if anyone could help

When i first started scaffolding i was labouring for 2 years, then after another year on the tools i was handed a Score Card and some SVQ level 3 advance scaff papers, although i was never at college.
At the time i didn't know any different and was delighted with my pay rise to scaff rate.
Since then have left this company and my current boss has told me this card is worthless, which sounds about right, so he sent me on my part 1 training, after 3 days the college told me that becuase i had my goverment funding for an apprentice (for my SVQ) i could not do it again!!!!

So is my score card and svq lvl 3 actualy useless and just a way for my old company to get the goverment funding?

Don't know how it works in Scotland mate and I've never heard of your card.
When I thought I might have to re train I looked into it and was told because I already had NVQ1,2 and 3 I couldn't get funding to re do them as obvously I already held the required qualifications. But there was no problem with actually doing the courses again apart from how they would be funded

Last edited:
yeah there isn't a problem with me going back and doing the training, i just have to pay for it myself, which at my current company isn't really an option. I was just wondering if there was any other way round it,or if anyone else had simialar problems.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

bin it mate no one accepts them any more

i have found that most site agents accept it, but they tend to not know what they are talking about.
But as far as the scaffolding side goes your pretty much spot on.

yeah there isn't a problem with me going back and doing the training, i just have to pay for it myself, which at my current company isn't really an option. I was just wondering if there was any other way round it,or if anyone else had simialar problems.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

i have found that most site agents accept it, but they tend to not know what they are talking about.
But as far as the scaffolding side goes your pretty much spot on.

political madness westie got same problem with the ecitb issue been fine for 30 years but now will be worthless come end of 2011 take the fookers to court the only way you will get the fat cats to listen but hope you get something sorted :mad:

I held a CITB card and needed to upgrade (yeah right) to CISRS but my situation was different to yours.
If you have to re do your training to gain the correct card then yeah you will have to pay yourself or get your firm to pay (as you have your Quals).
I was told defo no funding available to me.
You could appeal but I'm not sure where you stand re your Score card

Msg AOM, think he knows about the score card, might be wrong, wont be a first, or last, but he might be able to point you in the right direction.:blink1:

YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR EMPLOYER TO SPOMSOR YOU AND YOU WILL PAY IF NECESSARY.TRY AND GET HIM TO DEDUCT IT FROM YOUR WAGES,THAT WAY YOU GET A CISRS CARD AND A WEE RUN OF WORK AS YOU WILL OWE THE NEW BOSS MONEY;)
ON THE SCORE CARD LIKE THE ECITB CARD IT WAS NOTICED THAT CISRS WAS LOOSING MONEY,IT DIDNT HELP THAT THE MAN BEHIND THE "TRAINING" GOT GREEDY AND STOPPED ACTUALLY TRAINING.
THE CARD IS WORTHLESS ALTHOUGH THE NVQ/SVQ STILL STANDS AS THE NASC/CISRS CANT GET THEIR TEETH INTO THEM ----YET:mad:

Hi Westie and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately there are a few threads on here about the score card which as you have found out is totally worthless. The good thing is you have managed to find an employer who is willing to help you put it right. I'm not entirely clear about your current training, did they put you off the course after 3 day's or just tell you your gaffer wouldn't get a grant for training you? From what little I know of the card is, someone (HSE I think) watched a score trained operator work he noticed massive failings in his ability and then found a load of shortcoming's with the training given or even being doled out with no training at all. It collapsed shortly after leaving you and thousands like you high and dry. Once awarded, the SVQ cannot be taken off you no matter how it was gained so the other small comfort is you wont have to do an assessment in between training as others do but I'm afraid you will have to complete the part 1 and 2 again without funding as someone has already had it away with your's.

The one guy I had with me with the score left for another job but came back about a year later with his part 1 funded from the job centre so I agreed to pay for his part 2 as I knew there was no assessment needed but unfortunately he left again. I think the answer lies with your current employer and how far he is willing to train you without funding.

Top Bottom