Schedule of Rates

Spunkywads26

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone got a current version of the schedule of rates for scaffolding.

I have been asked to tender an existing contract which I gained through recommendation but the client must be seen to be all fair and above board.

I have never done this tendering myself so have looked into it a bit and it seems that I would be wise to get this schedule.

Has anyone got any advice on this also? Would like to hear of people with experience of this.

Cheers

Mmm, careful with this, it can take your control away from you and leave you working for very little. I might be a bit over cautious, but I like to stay in total control and price everything on it's own merits.

That was my initial thought too.

This is a contract I have like a few others which is routine maintence of houses. My worry is that some local firms have bought a stock of layher system and are throwing it up at cheaper rates than me as a T & F guy. The thing in my favour is security as any idiot can climb up it.

You can build a schedule up from the pro - rata of your original quoted sum eg using the quoted item price divide by the total metre run of scaffold and you have your cost pmr.

Over the years I have used a schedule of rates to calculate additional works for many main contractors. I keep copies of all the schedules I have devised. The trick is to price it high, and agree In writing, the sor rates will not be used in any retrospective revaluation of the original contract sum (this is where it turns sour).

In the hands of litigous contractors like some divisions of Wates or Laings it can be very tricky but a good scaffolding QS can use the JCT rules to agree the fiinal sum to his advantage.

As AOM indicates if you dont know the pitfalls you can find the SOR will work against you

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a current set schedule of rates? Usually pricing should be job and client specific. You can set your own rates based on hangers, independents, birdcages etc with extra amounts for heavy duty etc. You can even work out your rates per fitting, metre of tube, metre of board etc as we did in Australia. Add your hire rates plus modifications, design etc and you will have your own comprehensive schedule tailored to suit your overheads and profit expectations.

It would have to depend on your geographical area, your customer, what type of work.I could send you one on excell but it wouldn't do you a lot of good if most of your work is on sites.
PM me if you want it

Top Bottom