Scafftag UK

cjcnix

Reaction score
Guys I have been following the topics on this fine forum for a while now and as such I felt it only right that we support it by sponsoring the Forum along with the other supporters. I also think it is about time we had a voice so here we go. Please bear with it....
History lesson bit
As you are all aware Scafftag has been around for 27 years (seems longer) as market leader and the industry standard with the original Scafftag holder and insert. This has not happened by accident however and we continue to invest a great deal of time and resource into understanding the legislation and the environment our tags are used in and they way they are used.
Products
Despite what some may think we do not sit in a darkened room thinking up new cunning ways of ripping off all the scaffs out there. Although we have had the Scafftag product available for many years it has evolved and changed in line with new regulations and as a business we are always looking to improve the product and service to you. Your in put to us is important. Let us know what you think. [/I] If you click on the advert on the main page you can complete a simple questionnaire and you will receive a free Worker Emergency ID Tag.[/I] Who's says you get nothing free from Scafftag?
Service
In the past we have had the misfortune to be branded 'inflexible', 'arrogant' and have been charged with running a 'cartel'. Sounds lovely? But this is so far from the truth (especially nowadays) as we pride ourselves on our knowledge and service levels. We dont always get it right, but who out there is perfect and never stuffs up occasionally? However we always try and learn and move forward with a more positive experience. We also have a fine mix of guys and girls out there on the road (and in the office) only too willing to come in and help you and demonstrate new products.
Alternatives to Scafftag
Over the last few years there have been a number of 'copy cat' products appearing on the market, some remarkably close to ours and some 'alternatives' claiming to be cheaper and better. We understand that everybody has a choice but although something may be advertised as 'cheaper,' is it in reality, especially in the long run? As most of then simply recreate our inserts and information, do they actually know all the legal stuff? Will these folded PVC holders that you see around stand the test of time? I still see Scafftag holders being used out there that are over 10 years old!
Myths

There is no legal requirement to use a Scafftag (or similar) - there you go, I'm potentially doing us out of business, but I'm stating it as it is! Obviously you have to inspect your structures and record those inspections but you dont need to use our tag, although you could use our Blue Book:).

We do not state that you cannot re-use our inserts. Okay, we used to send out that message years ago regarding using them as evidence in court but virtually everyone re-uses them and why shouldnt you?

We do not try and develop 'tamperproof' inks, in fact quite the opposite. We are not that 'sneaky' and in fact we are working on a re-useable insert at the moment.

We do supply holders and inserts separately.... and pens and pocket memos and posters and inspection books and.....the list goes on.

For everyone out there who has had a 'less than favorable' experience with our service or our products then I'd like you to give us a chance to prove that experience wrong. Clients in 37 countries with 17 different languages prove that we do something right...I think? Get in touch and we'll see what we can do.

There you go, a bit more than I had intended but wanted to get it out there. Future posts wont be as long promise.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, didn't realise you now sold inserts separately, news to me. As you say I don't use any sort of tag too much as most clients prefer to do their own inspections which suits us just fine but I know a few will find your post interesting.

Thank-you for that!!

Who wrote it & who do we reply too.

Regards Stewart Quinney

SCCR Chairman

Good Ian, yourself? Hows tricks up (down) there in Cheshire? Spoke with Simon last week, an oracle as always!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Stewart thanks for the reply. That 'brief' intro was down to me, hope you weren't too bored by then end?

Regards

Chris Nix
UK Sales Manager, Scafftag

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Stewart thanks for the reply. That 'brief' intro was down to me, hope you weren't too bored by then end?

Regards

Chris Nix
UK Sales Manager, Scafftag

just done the survey, gimmi gimmi gimmi I love a freebie!

Been trying to get holders seperately for ages, always been told you can't.

Hi Chris,
now that you supply the inserts seperately we may now move back to Scafftag.
Can you please give a cost for 100No inserts.
Many thanks

Brandy, thanks for responding. Another myth, we have always sold holders separately - boxes of 10 with two of our famous permanent marker pens inside. We even have specific holders for use with system scaffolds. If you need any samples get back to me.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Pro-Fix good to hear from you. We have always sold inserts separately!!! Genuine UK manufactured inserts. Give me a shout to let me know which inserts would be best for you as we have a few options available.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

aom good to hear from you up there in the West Coast, used to do some business over at Barcaldine and Ft William so know it well. Dunno where this story about us not selling inserts has come from as we have always sold inserts separately. Spread the word. Although you say you dont use them we have other tags for ties, eyebolts, harnesses, ladders, in fact over 4000 variations

I spoke with a girl in Stirling or Falkirk who was going to come and see me about a few things but the snow and ice put paid to that and haven't heard anything since. We probably do require some but as with all small concerns the quantities are minimal. 100 inserts would do me more than a year. I think it was the ladder tags that interested me as it came up in an audit.

Can't believe you have always sold them separately, maybe it was your agents that did that and by agents I mean 3rd party.

Barcaldine, surely there couldn't have been much business up there, I am a bit further south but same area right enough.

Cjcnix, Would be interested in getting a price for the holders, and sample of the system ones. will pm you. Cheers.

Ive got a question for you, firstly thanks for sponsoring the forum, and introducing yourself and inviting discussion an feedback on your product.

In my opinion the scafftag system is a very good system, however the system is good but the actual product tag and insert , in my and many others opinion is a very easily broke, not very robust expensive to replace product that needs some rubberisation, for elastication, to stop the discintigration. :nuts:

What im saying is, check thru forum and you will find posts about how best to clean inserts, and why are the tags so brittle sureley a more robust holder would be better for everyone, people probably wouldnt mind buying more or extra inserts, knowing they didnt need new tags aswell everytime.

They no problem on nice big industrial sites where no one or thing will touch them, but out construction sites, building sites, street work etc etc they get battered, abused, set on fire, stolen, kept in bottom of scaffolders bags , thrown into wagon cabs , sometimes on back of wagon with fittings , never mind what the local hoodies do with them.

do you have different tags to offer or is it something you may look at in the future.

Last time i looked the inserts cost 83p + Vat each... You can get discount for bulk orders but its something like 1000 plus pieces...

Hi Chris, I just wanted to offer my own support to your earlier post, we at Tagtec spent more than 15 years working with Scafftag and produced the majority of their tags though not the holders.

We found everyone at Scafftag to be helpful, knowledgeable and committed to providing the best service possible.

In fact, if it wasn’t for the decision by their parent Brady Corp to bring the production within the group we would probably still be making the Scafftag products!

After numerous customer requests and with the experience of our sister company, health & safety consultancy Riskmonitor, it was inevitable that we would eventually go into the direct manufacture of safety tags, though this took over 12 months to eventually happen.

As the first to market and the current market leader we have the utmost respect for the Scafftag team and I’m sure you will appreciate that a little competition will only benefit the industry in general.

Oh, one last thing, on the subject of holders, tagtec’s folded holders are designed specifically to last and, who knows, maybe in 10 years time we can also say that we’ve seen holders that have lasted that long! We believe them to have just the kind of flexibility needed to make sure they are not as brittle as the injection moulded alternatives. :D

BTW if anyone wants prices on our alternatives just let me know!

I spoke with a girl in Stirling or Falkirk who was going to come and see me about a few things but the snow and ice put paid to that and haven't heard anything since. We probably do require some but as with all small concerns the quantities are minimal. 100 inserts would do me more than a year. I think it was the ladder tags that interested me as it came up in an audit.

Can't believe you have always sold them separately, maybe it was your agents that did that and by agents I mean 3rd party.

Barcaldine, surely there couldn't have been much business up there, I am a bit further south but same area right enough.
AOM, Came across a box ladder tags and holders (new) today. Was given them free a few year ago, I use a different system so have no need of them. You can have them if you want, no charge, PM me an address if your interested and I'll post them on.

Ive got a question for you, firstly thanks for sponsoring the forum, and introducing yourself and inviting discussion an feedback on your product.

In my opinion the scafftag system is a very good system, however the system is good but the actual product tag and insert , in my and many others opinion is a very easily broke, not very robust expensive to replace product that needs some rubberisation, for elastication, to stop the discintigration. :nuts:

What im saying is, check thru forum and you will find posts about how best to clean inserts, and why are the tags so brittle sureley a more robust holder would be better for everyone, people probably wouldnt mind buying more or extra inserts, knowing they didnt need new tags aswell everytime.

They no problem on nice big industrial sites where no one or thing will touch them, but out construction sites, building sites, street work etc etc they get battered, abused, set on fire, stolen, kept in bottom of scaffolders bags , thrown into wagon cabs , sometimes on back of wagon with fittings , never mind what the local hoodies do with them.

do you have different tags to offer or is it something you may look at in the future.
Superscaff thanks for the message. It is good to hear that you like the system. However in response to the comment regarding the durability of the holders I would offer this. The holders are designed to hang from the scaffold structure and in that sense they will offer you years of use (as long as nobody pinches them). However if they are being thrown to ground from height, thrown into boxes of scaffold fittings (with clips being thrown onto them) being used as a hammer (i kid you not) then they will object and will obviously fail. That said we do recognise that they do take abuse other than what they were designed for and we are currently trialling one which will offer improved resilience and flexibility. Watch this space. I would be interedsted to hear your opinion on other aspects of the product and service? Why dont you complete the survey by clicking on our advert on the main page - you'll also get a free Worker ID tag for your time

Regards
Chris

Top Bottom