Scafftag gets 1 up on the forum

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

The NASC have issued a statement in regards of the impact wrench. Go and read it there.
The title was supposed to read scaffmag. Dam predictive txt.

Last edited:
And Teeside posted this ages ago I think. You can beat Teeside on news stories.

The NASC has been asked to comment on the use of impact wrenches during the erection/dismantling of scaffold.

The NASC would advise members as follows:

The recommended force needed to tighten a fitting is 50 N/mtr as stated in EN 74. Some wrenches have a minimum setting that is greater than this recommended figure. Therefore there is a risk that a fitting could be over tightened causing damage to the fitting if the wrench is used to its extreme.

Members should note that the use of impact wrenches should be the same as other items of plant and this should entail a period of training, familiarisation and monitoring, to ensure that the wrench is being used in the correct manner at all times.

It should also be noted that during the latter stages of battery life the wrenches may in some cases give insufficient force to adequately tighten fittings.

The NASC recognises that these wrenches do offer certain benefits, including speed and reduction of potential RSI problems but would advise members and users of such equipment that there is a potential for concern over the use and operation and as such each member should adequately access the risk for their own particular situation and ensure that they put in place protocols to cover and ensure safe use.

I'm sure we all know scaffs who go berserk when they are tightening fittings.

What are the NASC going to do about them?

This opinion they have shared with us smacks of them desperately trying to stay ahead of anyone elses point of view or them just piggy-backing on to someone elses work in connection with this

Our industrys self appointed trade governing body not trying to dictate to the rest of us quite surprises me:suspicious:

There is a long boring story to the why and wherefores but my wee mate did not have his IW today and boy did he miss it. He passed a comment as I was buzzing the fittings and steel was flying about that no matter what was happening in the world he reckoned I would never give up my IW. I thought about it for about a nano second before agreeing with him.:cool:

Why did you think scaffmag got one up on the forum Steve, Teeside had us all updated some time ago.

I know AOM. We have had many a chat about this subject.
I'm STILL A SPANNERMAN though and always will be.
A MANS SPANNER NOT A FANNY'S BATTERY SPANNER. That's a D ildo.

haha, your obviously not twirling it enough or you would be an IW man for sure.;)

The worst invention in the world was that firkin rabbit.

Is that the same 1 where you told me she had wired it to the mains?

I think they had to build another wind farm.

Top Bottom