Scaffs are still classed as semi skilled..

S

steve gregory

why is it that scaffs are still classed as semi skilled and not a skilled trade will people wake up and smell the bacon.

why is it that scaffs are still classed as semi skilled and not a skilled trade will people wake up and smell the bacon.

It's all to do with the fact that scaffolders erect temporary structures and don't leave a finished product, as it were.

What difference does it make anyway? It's not going to change anything.

after doing the same trade for 31 years and completing many courses i feel iam a skilled trades man regardless of the fact that its a temporary structure :nuts:

It's all to do with the fact that scaffolders erect temporary structures and don't leave a finished product, as it were.

What difference does it make anyway? It's not going to change anything.

Us guys,always have a erect temporary structure, and i have 4 fine finished products:D

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Us guys,always have a erect temporary structure, and i have 4 fine finished products:D

Wor lass says i am a profesional, Move over 'John Holmes' the Scaffs are in town.;)

i dont know anywhere that treats scaffolding as semi skilled, it was once but not now.

Dictionary definition.. Semi.. Half, not fully.. Skilled.. Expert, Expert knowledge, craft accomplishment. If we're only semi skilled why don't the other so called experts do the job themselves.

Tube and fitting.. yes that is a full trade! System scaff... well the job is half done for you before you even start, sooo thats a semi trade. When brick layers can put up quickstage that tells you what system scaffold is all about. Just my opinion!

ur right about that mate,we are all semi-human cos who in there right mind,would become a scaff cos you need to have stones like steel to do the dodgy jobs we have to do!!.

semi skilled was a tag for us years ago,semi skilled to me means self taught,ie no courses or apprenticeship.now days we got courses for the lot,craft rates down london i think were paid more than joiners,plumbers etc.if your time served your skilled,thats what i belive.ps yozzer hughes would have made a fine scaff.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

well said sniper.

Last edited:
I did a full 3 year apprenticeship for GKN Mills (as it was known at the time).

Top Bottom