scaffolding hire charges

Q.Silver

Reaction score
I am in the mix of trying to get my firm off the ground and must say it has been a lot of preperation work. In terms of pricing I think I am getting the hang of it, but can someone advise me on how to establish competitive rental charges? For example if a scaffold is to be up for 20 weeks, what do you take into account when putting forward rentail fees? Thanks in advance.

You can work it out per meter run , or per square , or you can break it down into x amount a foot a tube a week x amount per fitting and x amount per board

I normally charge 5% of the price s a rule of thumb :)

Yeah me too but it can go up to 10% especially if it's system. We usually allow for 4 weeks in the price but may stretch it a bit to between 6 and eight depending on who is asking and how quickly they pay. If anyone tries to haggle hard it usually means you are already the cheapest and best option but if I feel I really need to give anything away I use the hire for negotiating never the price.

Do you guys always manage to get a hire when it comes to a duration over 4 weeks, I was under the impression that some don't charge (busy fools come to mind) in order to keep their lads busy?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Do you guys always manage to get a hire when it comes to a duration over 4 weeks, I was under the impression that some don't charge (busy fools come to mind) in order to keep their lads busy?

Just like everything else, depends on how much gear is in the yard and how busy the boy's are on the sites but on the whole we are still getting our hire after 4 weeks. I did give 1 client free hire once and he kept the job up for nearly a year and I swore then I wouldn't do it again. I explained that to another yesterday as he tried to negotiate down that I am not really interested in a hire I just need it to be expensive enough to annoy the PC so he will get it down in a timely fashion so I can use it on another job.

Im glad to hear aom, that's pure business sense, not that everyone sees it that way as far as I know. After all it's hard enough making profit (although some might think people work for the hell of it) these days, especially when gear is so expensive to buy nowadays.

Are you still getting a hire?

I've always said I would rather shut the gate as do it for nothing.

I'm not a scaffolder aom, I work for a supplier of scaffolding gear (to clarify I am not here to promote any product/company), just the construction and scaffolding industry in general just interests me and I am only here to learn from you guys what is happening day to day so I can learn my trade better and maybe put it to use in my career later down the line. Hope this doesn't affend any of you scaffys.

Not at all, don't think it's a closed shop or anything, all welcome.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Except the mackems.:laugh:

Appreciate it, just pleases me to hear that as hard as things are out there at the moment, you can still make an honest living as aposed to what I previously mentioned being a busy fool and giving things away for the so called big £££ turnover but making no profit. Which in my opinion is just proposterous.

Agreed but we are only a small concern with a large spread of customers and find when 1 door closes 3 open, not all payer's right enough. I would imagine it's very different for the big boy's who need to get the big job just to keep the boy's gainfully employed. Don't think I would swap.

That is probably the best way to do it I think, less stress, less hassell, if you get too big too quick, far too much risk. Plus the important thing is as long as you make enough to live a good life that's what counts....

We never charge less than £20.00 per week extra hire even for the smallest job and usually 50% more than the hire price on the larger contracts

Like wise Aom its often the threat of extra hire that gets you your kit back quick , and it does depend on how much and who its for as to how strict you are with them , once had a house front up for over a year on £40 a week X hire , when we put it up the guy was adamant that 4 weeks was more then enough and if he only needed it for 2 weeks could he have it cheaper :laugh::laugh: i used to love seeing that cheque arrive every month :D

Yeah, we have a few like that as well, one in particular who tried to brow beat the living day lights out of me and every other local firm who priced the work. Eventually gave it to an outsider but still used us for scaffold. Don't know the ins and out's of what happened next but 6 months on the roof still isn't on and the scaffold is still on hire.:cool:

Top Bottom