scaffolders inspecting scaffolders

timthumb

Reaction score
what do people think about scaffolder on site also doing the weekly inspections on their own scaffolds

although i believe him to be qualified, it seems to me the main contractor is trying to push all the responsibility on the scaff company

especially when scaffolds have been altered , toe boards removed and such like that it is up to the main contractor to pay to put right ..also put a stop to it ,, and counter charge the trades and discipline them as required

tim

I don't think contractors should inspect their own scaffolding as non-compliance issues may not always be identified meaning that reoccurences will carry on happening. I also don't think that site managers have the experience a 2 day scaffold inspection is just not enough (here I agree with celticboy). Now i'm not touting for business but a 3rd party experienced in the industry is always going to be the best option

I agree with that as well timthumb, I hate inspecting my own jobs as obviously I think their good when I built the damn things. I think as long as you put in written reports detailing all faults that have developed you should be in the clear.

my new boss asked me to fill in some scaffold inspection sheets last week,for my own scaffold,i just laughed at him,and told him that im not aloud to inspect my own work.

you put the report in then go and put the bits right...........

and i have also put in charges for where i believe its been another trades fault
eg toe bordes moved , holes dug ... standards hit etc ( i used to be a tube straightener so i could only really encourage that sort of thing :unsure: )

it still not correct though as it would be better for more than one pair of eyes help break up a chain of events that lead to a problem

Yeah, I think you are right, over to you Ian.:idea:

what do people think about scaffolder on site also doing the weekly inspections on their own scaffolds

although i believe him to be qualified, it seems to me the main contractor is trying to push all the responsibility on the scaff company

especially when scaffolds have been altered , toe boards removed and such like that it is up to the main contractor to pay to put right ..also put a stop to it ,, and counter charge the trades and discipline them as required

tim

We inspect nearly all of our scaffolds - and we charge the customer accordingly for this service.

If they don't want to pay for this service, then the responsibility is theirs.

Anyone of our staff who inspects one of our scaffolds is under no illusions as to the consequences of signing off an unsafe scaffold.

If a scaffold is in an unsafe condition then the tag is flipped to red, photographs taken, customer informed, schedule 7 report filled out accordingly and an unsafe scaffold report emailed to the site manager, their boss, their bosses boss and their safety manager.

Usually takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get an instruction to make the scaffold safe.

We inspect nearly all of our scaffolds - and we charge the customer accordingly for this service.

If they don't want to pay for this service, then the responsibility is theirs.

Anyone of our staff who inspects one of our scaffolds is under no illusions as to the consequences of signing off an unsafe scaffold.

If a scaffold is in an unsafe condition then the tag is flipped to red, photographs taken, customer informed, schedule 7 report filled out accordingly and an unsafe scaffold report emailed to the site manager, their boss, their bosses boss and their safety manager.

Usually takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get an instruction to make the scaffold safe.

exsactly the same set up as capes phill think its 75 pound per scaffold check
unless its gone up shame you dont get the money would do it all day.

i dont believe the erector should be responsable for the inspection of his own work but niether should it be down to some plum with a 2 day training course under his belt a third party experienced in the industry is definetly the safest practice in my opinion

I do a quick check on my site every couple of days, pulled one scaffold and put it out of commission cos the gas men had moved three boards over the main entrance. Told the site manager il put it right when ive finished the scaffold im working on, result was plumbers and gas men get a rollocking cos i wouldnt let the electricians on the scaffold for four hours, nothing moved since!

We have Simian come on and check our scaffolds, both blokes have been very fair and i find them both very knowledgable about their profession and have been very helpful on answering any questions that have arisin and both have been very approachable.

I have done the advanced scaffold inspection but i know different people find different faults and it is always better to have an extra pair of eyes to give a quick look over!

i dont believe the erector should be responsable for the inspection of his own work but niether should it be down to some plum with a 2 day training course under his belt a third party experienced in the industry is definetly the safest practice in my opinion

Legally, it's the responsibilty of the hirer.

Like I said, most scaffold contractors offer weekly inspections as a paid service, or included in a package (usually as a sweetener to help secure a contract)

Other contractors prefer to use a third party to inspect scaffolding on their sites.

Either way, it can be quite a lucrative job...

hi tim. l agree that if you put a job up,you shouldn't be the 1 who inspects it. at my old firm there woz four ov us with advanced inspection tickets,nd we used to inspect each ova's,nd the ova lads on the firm,jobs. it made for some interesting reports. you soon found out who woz pally with who.

Yeah we do offer it phil, but I'm always quite glad when they want to do their own.

Top Bottom