scaffold manual, 1890

my dad was given this by the man who actually put it together, and gave it me. i hope you find it interesting. i think it would be good to actually construct a scaffold using these old methods. maybe one day when i've got more time and money i'll have a go

Great little post altasash,enjoyed the brief history lesson of scaffolding through the ages. Probably never happen,but if you considered building one of these,I'd love to be involved:D. Where would I get this book or similar info?

Great little post altasash,enjoyed the brief history lesson of scaffolding through the ages. Probably never happen,but if you considered building one of these,I'd love to be involved:D. Where would I get this book or similar info?
Thanks Frederik, im not sure where you'd get any info from,
London Library: Collections
try there to start with?
SF should hold an event in the summer, similar to the scaffold olympics, with stalls, games, and maybe build one of these, with help from the sponsors??
more importantly, BIG BEER TENT!

Last edited:
is that from your trainee days atlasash ???

Wonder what the scaffs back then thought of the wire lashing replacing rope, all those redundant wedges, and tube replacing timber, probably the same as we think now regarding system.

Would love to be able to print this off, Can someone make a good printable copy of these jpegs and bang them back onto the forum?
i've got the original, when i get time i'll copy them properly and send them :)
unless someone can improve these somehow

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Translation of "Scaffolding"

Afrikaans: Steierwerk, Catalan: Bastida, Czech: Lešení, German: Gerüst, Spanish: Andamio, Persian: داربست, French: Échafaudage, Italian: Ponteggio, Luxembourgish: Stee (Bauwiesen), Dutch: Bouwsteiger, Japanese: 足場, Norwegian (Bokmål): Stillas, Polish: Rusztowanie, Portuguese: Andaime, Russian: Строительные леса, Swedish: Byggnadsställning, Tamil: சாரம், Thai: นั่งร้าน, Turkish: İskele (inşaat).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this fascinating historical document atlasash .

It appears a steel system scaffold invented by Isambard Brunel was in use some fifty years before tube and fitting , and Da Vinci was the founder member of PASMA, no mention of that in Dan Browns novel :)

Last edited:
Atlash im sure if you called into any good printers they would be able to either scan them into a decent emailable file or print them off into a basic black an white booklet for not much money, then just sell them for cost to lads on here .

thats if you got the time and actually want to lol

i used to have the full adobe platinum collection of programs on my pc about £50,000 pounds worth of software , I cracked it off piratebay :nuts: it was an unbelievable program suite the type of stuff film makers, magazine people use to make unbelievable things look natural. it was far to complicated for me to use an im quite solubrious on a Pc, but a good printer type company or someone you know who works with that type software could make any old pictures, books or videos look brand firing new in seconds

Atlash im sure if you called into any good printers they would be able to either scan them into a decent emailable file or print them off into a basic black an white booklet for not much money, then just sell them for cost to lads on here .

thats if you got the time and actually want to lol

i used to have the full adobe platinum collection of programs on my pc about £50,000 pounds worth of software , I cracked it off piratebay :nuts: it was an unbelievable program suite the type of stuff film makers, magazine people use to make unbelievable things look natural. it was far to complicated for me to use an im quite solubrious on a Pc, but a good printer type company or someone you know who works with that type software could make any old pictures, books or videos look brand firing new in seconds
to be honest superscaff, i would quite happily re-type the written text, the pics i dont know how to make them better. no offence to you at all, but i wouldnt charge a penny for this, im just glad people who are in to scaffolding might find this interesting

Top Bottom